Thursday, November 26, 2015

Girl Scout Days

Yesterday we did truck day.  We parked at work, the pickup truck (I wasn't driving) loaded with merchandise.... and they were waxing in front of my vending machines. 

Now, something like that, I can take a couple of approaches. 
1.  Get a typical attitude "Y'all ruining my business.  You need to stop.  I have to make a living." 
2.  Go home.  [snort]  Tempted, though. 
3.  "Hi, I'm here, how can we work this out?  I know you need to do this, but I need to do that, if at all possible.  At the very least I need access to my stockroom, can we do that?" 

I took approach #3, and was not only able to access the stockroom, but stock the vending machines as well.  I call that a win. 

They did rush us at the end, though.  'You're about done, right?"  "Almost done?"  Etc.  But I understood THEY had work, just like I had, and we got out early. 

I hope my God time has made me a more sensitive and empathetic person.  I like to think it has.  They were smiling and pleasant, so they must have been satisfied. 

We came home, and I was actually able to take a nap.  I was thrilled.  #6's kids are out of school all this week. 

Now, it didn't work out to nap today, but I was still happy.

I debated checking my email, and decided to wait until today.  I was waiting to hear back from "The Big Boss". 

We have two directly above us, then the big boss above them.  Since Ron skipped the conference, he has to make it up somehow.  I submitted some ideas. 

I was worried he would say "No" and make us do something more complex, but he approved it.  Yay. 

One of them: take a CPR course, which I feel will actually serve the customers in the unlikely event someone has a problem in the cafeteria, while we're working. 

Also on the "to do" list, repair some siding (!) yet again, this time on the north side of the house.  It is cosmetic, but apparently a Very  Big Deal to the insurance company.  I mean, really?  You have nothing better to do? 

Not, Ron and I think, that they will ever pay any claims anyway.  Why would they?  It's really their job to get out of paying claims, when you think about it. 

 That, and the fact they change their name every year or so, have made us lose faith. 

My anxiety hasn't been as bad, amusingly enough, since I actually had things to worry about.

We were also contacted by the water department.  Apparently people are going around, banging on doors, saying they have to test the water from the taps.  What a great way to survey houses for future burglary.  The only people in my house are the ones I call. 

They are coming back a few days after the "water test" and claiming the water is grossly polluted, and selling a very expensive water filtration system. 

Years ago, a young man banged on my door, said he was doing an audit for energy efficient appliances, I "had" to let him into do an inspection, so he could suggest alternatives.  I told him, very politely, to go away.  He was shocked.  I don't know why. 

Why would I ever let a strange person into my home so they could evaluate me for a robbery? 

Lest I be accused of racism, my handyman is black, and very good at his job.  At his wages, he doesn't need to rob! 

At any rate, I don't worry about my water quality.  I never have since my Girl Scout days.  I enjoyed them, at least in Virginia. 

One time, they took us to the water treatment plant.  The manager did an excellent, and interesting, job of explaining all the steps they took to ensure I had clean water.  And I believe them. 

Now and again, I have mentioned a broken pipe or something to the water company, but that's about the extent of our interaction.  I read the water quality reports.  Ron has a faucet filter in addition to that, but I know I am blessed with potable water. 

So, on that front things are good. 

The cats are doing well. Biscuit remains the charmer, with Torbie in position #2.  Gravy's third, and Baby Girl is last.  She just wants to love us on her terms, not ours. 

Me, I like a hug now and then.  The boys are good for that.  I'm glad they're around. 

Today, I slept as late as I could and did my God Time, shower, and a little TV.  I tried to take a nap but I was too wound up on caffeine. 

I watched the first Hobbit movie, and Ron played a "funny" recording made 20 years ago.  I think it was Chris Rock.  I don't really find "black" humor, funny. 

Now, years ago I heard a very funny joke by a white comedian: What's the difference between a black boyfriend, and a white one?  The white guy pays the bills. 

Ha ha ha.  Me, I've only had Ron, who's black, and pays all the bills. 

Ron was disappointed I wasn't rolling on the floor, but I just don't find hostile racial/sex humor funny.  He records things, keeps hoping I will like them, I don't, he's disappointed. 

Well, I'm not going to lie.  That's one reason I don't watch sitcoms, I don't find them funny.  A lot of the humor is hostile or sex jokes. 

I enjoy my love life, with my husband, but I don't need to run around making jokes about it, constantly. 

Here's our only real joke:
Ron brags that I call him "The minute man".  The person starts to giggle. 
"Because I'm ready in a minute!" 
"No, because you're done in a minute!" 

(He's not).  That's it. 

Everyone always wants to know what you ate for Thanksgiving.  I had two giant handfuls of medication!  My, what a hearty meal they made. 

Then I had some leftover pizza.  Ron had some chicken/sausage gumbo. 

It's been my experience that those from SE Louisiana prefer an aquatic gumbo, all kinds of fish and seafood.  Those from NW Louisiana prefer a chicken and sausage with dark roux. 

We have, not one, but two, delicious "TV Dinner" gumbos in Ron's favorite style.  I bought him four and he ate one today for his Thanksgiving meal. 

I had the pizza.  I'm depressed anyway, I didn't feel cheated. 

I do wonder why I got one with sausage.  It doesn't always agree. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok if there is a frozen gumbo worth a try? please share the name with us! in fact please share some of the brands of the frozen and instant food you eat. We are going through a period where I can not cook and my husband does not know how to cook. He has many wonderful qualities but cooking is not one of them.

in fact if you would do a frozen food review or instant food review. We are going through period of time that easy meals that taste really good are going to be very important.

you always have great ideas in your posts so thank you

I have found an appliance that changed my life it is a slow cooker/pressure cooker combo ( I don't want you to think I am commercial but there are a couple of info mercials and they are online so you can watch videos

I am not an appliance person and was the last one I know to get a microwave. But for people who struggle with wanting to eat good food ..needed to eat well to keep our sanity in check? this thing is cool and I am glad I saved my money and bought it because it browns food in the pot I do not need two pots when I slow cook now!
this is not a commercial but wanted to share back something a fellow crazy chick finds indispensable to have in the kitchen when I am depressed I literally can push a button and leave and there are tons of forums online with great ideas for how to use it. so when I was feeling good I figured it out ..now when I feel like shit I can dump push a button and nap

please share frozen foods that taste good it is hard I do not like them as a rule but have to have some. I like the Jamaican patties those are good. and Tater tots I can eat those anytime but they require a real oven and sometimes even that is too much to do .. especially if there is a yummy gumbo ..I am not sure I care nearly as much about your "love life" as I do about your diet, how you get your sleep in , compliance in meds and basically just your adventures I guess …your love life is very important, to you ..and I am glad you are both still able to have one as sick as Ron has been you would think years of hammering his body with booze would have put an end to that but our bodies are amazing things!

Hope you have a good holiday season and Merry Christmas to you and yours we do love you Heather you are an inspiration to all us crazy chicks!

the only cocktail I will be enjoying my pills and maybe a little home made eggnog with no booze ! Cheers!