Monday, November 30, 2015

Don it

Something woke me up at 1 AM, I wasn't happy.  I finally went back to sleep but, interrupted, I was pretty exhausted this morning. 

I had to laugh at myself as I applied me deodorant.  I had shaved one armpit, and forgotten the other. 

We rode with the teacher's aide today.  Even though other women wait at the door of the school, she acts as though the driver must wait until it's unlocked.  Not according to paratransit rules, unless she has a severe intellectual limitation.  Now, it's not the best neighborhood but it's certainly not that bad.  And, if given a choice, I think they will rob the older, obese, white lady with the huge leather purse. 

Last time she waited so long in the car Ron had to remind the driver we had to get to work, we had deliveries, and we weren't interested in catering to overly hysterical fears.  If you are really that worried about your safety, get a concealed weapons permit.  A gun will certainly stop a mugging, or whatever else you fear. 

Lest you think I am a bitch, I have lived in horrible neighborhoods, where I saw people mugged on a regular basis, where they had a security guard doing check-ins on every car that entered, where the landlady admitted to renting to "at least 3" drug dealers.  Where I found empty bottles of cough syrup, dirty syringes, and used condoms everywhere I stepped.  Where I was constantly hassled by newly paroled sex offenders because they thought I was a prostitute (I dress very modestly). 

Now, that's a bad area.  And you know what?  I used to come home from work, on the bus, by myself, in the dark.  Sometimes I walked 2 miles home from work at 11 PM.  I lived.  I wasn't stupid, I used common sense.  I didn't carry a purse or wear anything of value. 

I feel a little bad about that, all these years with my engagement ring, and I have seldom worn it.  I haven't had it stolen, either. 

That reminds me of one of Ron's therapists at the hospital.  She had what must have been a 5-carat ring on her hand, at a charity hospital.  Not smart. 

So, use your common sense, you will be fine.  If you remain overly fearful, read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker.  Good book.  Has a whole chapter about the workplace shooting at my Dad's office. 

We got to work, things were about average in terms of sales.  I didn't feel bad we took 2 days off.  I got to work stocking. 

The other vendors have an astounding amount of paraphernalia.  They must have 10 carts, including a large flatbed.  They have dozens of milk crates they fill with product and stack on the carts, but in the meantime they stack them up all around the stockroom, making horrible obstacles for Ron.  He HATES working Monday, as a result. 

I had to get him around all their crap in addition to helping him and doing my usual duties. 

We are nearly sold out, in our stockroom, so we have to do a truck run tomorrow and buy more inventory.   I don't mind that.  I plan to buy some new things. 

I have a Christmas t-shirt, it's a fake sweater, so I will wear that tomorrow.  I like my Santa hat, it says "Merry Christmas" on it, but it is rather warm when I'm working.  I may wait on it until I'm done moving all the inventory, then don it. 

Something funny happened today and I threatened to put it in the blog.  I can't remember what, though. 

That's it for now. 



No comments: