Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Bulletproof vest

I just deleted a spam.  A woman claimed a "prophet" brought back her husband after he left. 

Let me get this straight.  Assuming the guy had the power to bring someone back, why would you want him?  He's a cheat who doesn't want to live with you. 

Good riddance, I'd say.  I'd put my faith in the Lord, who's completely reliable. 

I woke up at 3 AM with *another* migraine.  I finally tracked the source; Sam's Club blueberry muffins. 

Thanks a lot. 

We went to Walmart at 5 AM.  It was lovely.  I would have liked a little more time but we had work today. 

I bought some treats, if I ever get the go-ahead to mail that goody box.  I would have loved to add some chocolate, but not in this heat! 

I haven't heard back from the cab company.  I may do some independent digging. 

I felt pretty awful with the migraine, but I got everything on the list except Bibles.  They only had one Spanish Bible. I took it. 

I got the treats, some stuff for Ron, and a few things for me: drink mix, Powerade zero for the next Bible Handout, etc.  I tried to avoid processed foods and snack items, which kept my total number of items down. 

I can't find the receipt but I remember checking it. 

We went outside to wait on our ride.  When we'd arrived, a very manic guy tried to jump into "the cab".  I had to tell him "This is only for cripples" before he left the driver alone. 

The security guard was sitting on a bench, chatting him up.  [rolleyes]

He was gone, so we waited.  The driver pulled up, making comments about me "Leaving your bulletproof vest in Southwest Houston on Sunday"

Huh?  I only had my handout vest, which was sitting in my crate, in the living room.  He continued "Why didn't you have a bulletproof vest on Sunday, handing out those Bibles?" 

I wanted a bad neighborhood, I told him. 

No cult ever goes to the bad neighborhood, but all souls are equally valuable to God. 

God's called me to reach the poor. 

I'm very passionate.  The driver has had some bad experiences with "religion" and I could tell he was doing some hard thinking. 

Glad I could help. 

We got home and unloaded.  It wasn't much fun putting up the bottled water and Powerade, but I got it. 

I made sure to put the (ice cream) Drumsticks in the freezer.  I like to hand them out to drivers.  The treats have ice cream, covered with chocolate and peanuts, with a chocolate lined "cake" cone. 

Chocolate and peanuts are huge migraine triggers.  You can bet I won't be eating them. 

The drivers love them.  I already gave one away. 

We had a pretty quick turnaround and then we went to Sam's.  I brought my flash drive, and ordered some photos after I did my work shopping (a whole lot of pastry). 

I didn't mind working - I'd rather work with a headache than have it on my day off.  I've been very careful today so I shouldn't get another headache tomorrow. 

I bought chocolate donuts, (the sugar donuts had a terrible code and stayed at the store), 2 packages of chocolate cupcakes (the kind with the icing and the squiggle down the middle), and 3 trays of assorted pastry (honeybun, iced honeybun, cheese danish, and cinnamon roll). 

I also bought a little candy, stuff that won't melt. 

I bought 2 packages of honeybuns with my own money.  They are the "cheap" brand, but good and large.  I ate one and stocked the other 8 into the vending machines at work.  Like I said, I'm a lot more prone to spend my own money on inventory than I am to take something out of stock. 

I bought another tray for the "gals" at my local post office, when I mail the care package.  I like to bring them a treat.  They love them. 

As I put it in the back of Ron's wheelchair, he began ranting about "taking his inventory" and "giving away the store". 

Hey, I told him, I bought these with my money.  Not only that, I just stocked 8 of my honeybuns into your vending machine.  That shut him up right quick. 

As we waited, I saw the taco truck.  Our ride was coming late, so I went over and got lunch.  It was good, a grilled cheese with bacon.  Yum.  Bacon.  Good thick cut bacon. 

Ron ate a couple of tacos, making yum yum noises.  I have strongly considered adding green tea to the product lineup, especially since I see customers bringing it in. 

I bought Ron a bottle and he loved it.   We'll be adding it. 

I sat in my folding chair and Ron sat in his wheelchair, waiting on our ride, eating and drinking.  Cars drove by going to the credit union. 

We got a lot of paranoid, hostile, looks.  Ugly judgemental sneers, etc.  It was worse than a Bible Handout and that's saying a lot! 

Something in the Bible about despising the poor. 

I saw a familiar vehicle pulling into the driveway, and waved.  It was the Boss Man. 

He got out and we talked for a while.  He wants us to raise prices.  We told him he needs to tell the other guy; if it comes from us he'll balk.  We chatted for a while as the Metrolift (paratransit van) pulled up. 

The driver got out and eavesdropped, avidly listening to every detail as we discussed a few items.  We got Ron loaded. 

The Boss Man headed out to inspect the vending machines.  I was so glad I'd stocked. 

We had a nice straight trip home. 

The driver got a Drumstick.  I got a nap. 


1 comment:

Melanie said...

I know exactly what you mean about being grateful for our DH's exasperating human imperfections, because if they didn't have them, we might tend to make them our idols instead of the only One who has a right to that place, our God and Saviour. After over 30 years of marrige, I'm still fascinated by my DH, just like everyone else who knows him. He is, as Churchill said of Russia, "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma", lol. In this case, it's the "masculine mystique"!