Sunday, July 13, 2014

"You're going to think I'm crazy, and that's OK"

Today, I believe I encountered some of the nastiest judgement while doing the Handout - from people dressed for, and going to, church. 

I have had a vicious, nasty, migraine going on over a day now. 

I still got up, took my shower, did my God Time, did the Handout, and went to church after. 

I brought about 50 Bibles, including 5 Spanish, in my folding crate, along with the signs and all. 

Ron was very upset.  Instead of an 8:30 arrival, we were scheduled to arrive at 9:30.  Church starts at 10. 

I have seen God "fix" enough "bad rides" to have faith He could do the same this time, which He did.  One of the clients we were scheduled to pick up, never came out.  The pickup, and drop off, were cancelled and we got to the handout spot before 9. 

"I told you." I said smugly as I pushed him to our spot, an absolutely lovely median.  I set up and began walking the median, displaying the sign. 

I realized I'd need to change my approach.  NW Houston doesn't mind if I get close to the cars.  SW Houston does mind, so I stood farther back. 

I had been walking for a good 10 minutes before I got my first taker, a lady with very long manicured fingernails.  I had a lot of people, dressed for church, scowling and frowning at me.  You'd think they'd be happy. 

The sign is very clear: FREE BIBLES.  God loves you!

I don't get it.  Jesus said preach the Gospel.  In Matthew 22:9 He specifically tells people to "Go to the street corners and invite everyone you find."  

I'm doing that. 

I get it if the unreached get upset.  But a believer? 

I shook my head and kept going.  I gave away most of my Spanish very quickly.  An immigrant family in a cheap compact caught my eye.  I asked "Espanol?" and he nodded.  I ran over and gave him two (his wife). 

A carload of day labor guys started yelling - 4 more. 

A mother got one for her and her teenage daughter.  I found it interesting the daughter "happened" to get one that had my testimony in it.  I had put it in "randomly" and figured God would send them where needed. 

I had more judgers, frowners, and gapers.  I had a few people who shook their heads at me in wonderment - the crazy fat lady, dressed in loud orange, giving away Bibles on a Sunday Houston morning. 

I kept waving the sign and handing them out when I could. 

A car pulled up.  Two white guys with tattoos and piercings, playing filthy obscene rap music.  I just knew they wanted Bibles. 

I approached the open window, from the side. 

"You're going to think I'm crazy," I began "And that's OK". 

The driver turned off the music and gaped at me. 

"But I would love to give you each a free Bible, and pray for you everyday too." 

He stuck out his hand, and I handed them over.  "Thank you!" 

Pretty soon, 9:30 and time to go (It was a bit of a push to the church). 

I didn't have the headache, actively, while working.  It wasn't too bad during church, but the rest of the day it's been pretty horrific. 

At the Burger King, I saw 2 more day labor types talking in Spanish.  I gave them my last 2 Spanish.  They kept trying to give me money so I took some out of my pocket and said "Guapo takes care of me, mi esposo!"  They got the gist and put the money back in their pockets. 

Church was very interested to hear about the handout.  I told them "If the gangbangers show up it's my fault." 

They just laughed. 

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Good for you Heather, re tipping the guy. If someone helps me and it's a tip situation, I'm tipping them. If someone else doesn't want to, that's on them. If they don't like that it makes them look bad because I tipped and they didn't, that's still on them. I'm not going to punish someone who has a tip coming just because someone else chooses not to.

My local grocery store says "no tipping". When I do the grocery shopping, I like to get everything at once that I can possibly foresee needing, barring things like milk which won't keep, because I hate to grocery-shop. So I have lots of bags, and lots of heavy stuff, due to 5 dogs (they're probably the bulk of my shopping, otherwise it would just be my husband and me, and as we're older, we don't eat a whole lot. I only crave lime popsicles and lime cucumber Gatorade, in this heat).

So, when the poor stock guys offer to help me take it to my car, I tip them anyway. I tell them that I know the store says "no tipping", but I feel qualified to decide that for myself :)