Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Not worth it

I'm starting to get seriously pissed off with some of the drivers. 

First, they are paid to transport people with disabilities.  They are told during the application and training process, they will be securing people in wheelchairs.  They agree to this. 

They have a computer in the vehicle.  The computer gives them codes to help them prepare for the client.  W for Wheelchair, XW for extra wide wheelchair, AR for "slow", BL for blind, AM for ambulatory, you get the idea.  They see this information well before the pickup, because several pickups are listed on the computer, along with the codes.  They can enter an information menu and get more data as needed, on any trip, at any time.  They also have a printout with all the trips for the day, they can consult at any time. 

So why do so many show up and get a massive attitude when they find Ron in a wheelchair?  Our first driver practically had a tantrum. 

"I didn't know you were in a wheelchair!  I hate wheelchairs!  They're so much work!" 

Well, that's your fault.  It's right there on your computer.  If you hate working with wheelchairs why are you driving for a paratransit company? 

Then she didn't secure the chair properly.  Ron had to ask her to pull over and redo it.  I got out and examined her tie downs - she had secured two hooks to the armrest of Ron's wheelchairs, one to a bolt on the bottom of the chair, and one to some spokes on one wheel.  Needless to say that is everything bad. 

I stood there watching her do it right, this time.

One armrest has been damaged.  We are not happy.  We just got this chair.  Ron is calling in a complaint tomorrow. 

She gave us the silent treatment all the way to work.  Fine.  She is a little difficult anyway, but she was a decent driver. 

Lousy at dealing with the disabled, and tying down a wheelchair, but I didn't feel unsafe. 

We passed an accident at TC Jester and the Beltway.  A guy had run into the curb turning left off TC Jester.  He didn't turn far enough. 

Two people were standing up.  One guy was picking up the contents of a purse which had scattered on the ground.  One woman was lying on the ground, screaming and writhing.  I didn't see anyone with a cell phone in hand, so I called 911. 

They said it was the first report, and dispatched police and ambulance.  I was glad I could help. 

It also took my mind off my anger at the driver.  I wanted to smack her for being so ugly to my husband.   Now I have to pray for her. 

Ron already feels terrible about using a wheelchair, and it makes him feel worse when the driver does this whole martyr "It's so hard!" routine.  They get paid to deal with wheelchairs. 

Quite well, I've heard. 

Ron isn't choosing to use a wheelchair.  He's not doing it to annoy you or trouble you.  He's doing it because he can't walk. 

Ugh. 

I was happy to get away from her.  Ron is calling in a complaint tomorrow. 

At the very least they need to send her back to classes on how to do tie-downs (wheelchair securement). 

I was pretty alarmed when I walked into work: the vending machines had been wiped out.  I'm glad they like what I'm selling. 

It meant a lot of work today, and a tremendous amount tomorrow.  I did stock what I could and they looked OK when I left. 

Management bought a couple of Keurig coffeemakers and put them out for the employees, along with some free samples.  The free samples were very popular. 

Ron is thinking to sell pods in one of our vending machines, to reduce wear and tear on the coffee machine (which required another service call today). 

I helped Ron do his things, and put the drinks we'd brought in the freezer, then took them out and stocked them when they got cold.  One lady had bought my Nestea before we even left.  Ron didn't think they'd like it!  Ha! 

We have an excellent food cost on that one. 

We went home and I got a nap.  I woke up from a nightmare; the new entrance at work was not wheelchair accessible.  Ugh. 

I'm sure it will be, but I'll feel better when I see it. 

We went to our other location.  Sales have been awful ever since we set up the machine.  The manager had asked us to set up a machine in the store.  Dr Pepper delivered the machine when we were not present, and the manager had them set up in the breakroom. 

They have, perhaps 8 people on duty at any time.  No public access. 

Sales were bad, and they only bought Coke and Diet Coke, which of course had the highest food cost. 

Dr Pepper loans us the machine with the understanding we will stock it with 80% Dr Pepper products - it's in our contract.  It's also in our contract that we have to buy at least 10 cases of Dr Pepper products per machine, per month. 

They never bought any Dr Pepper products. 

The final straw, for me, was when an employee called my cell phone screaming at me because they were out of Coke.  I tried to explain, we are working more than full time at our primary location.  It is a 4 hour round trip for us to service your machine.  He kept yelling. 

Ron told him if he ever did that again we would remove the machine.  We thought about it. 

Why are we investing all our time and inventory money into a machine that has about $10 profit a month? 

It's not worth it.  Especially when people are calling my phone and verbally abusing me.  He wouldn't treat a customer that way. 

They always acted like they were our best customers, little realizing that "their" machine made perhaps 5% what ONE of our work machines can gross. 

We went in today, emptied it, and removed the lock.  Ron called Dr Pepper.  They will be removing it next week. 

Good.  It's a huge load off our backs. 

No comments: