Thursday, July 31, 2014

I don't know these roads!

This morning found me sitting on a toilet in a nasty public restroom, looking askance at a used rubber glove lying on the floor, and wondering just who had used it for what purpose. 

It was just that kind of morning.  Our first driver seemed OK at first, but an hour later we were driving around in circles as she exclaimed "I don't know these roads!  I don't know these freeways!"  Why, did you get a job as a cab driver if you don't know the roads and can't figure out the GPS? 

Oh, yeah.  Four thousand a month.  You thought you could fake it, but you can't, and now we're all (3 other clients besides us, on board) running very late. 

I very calmly told Ron he might want to call and reschedule our pickup "Because I don't think we'll get there when they said we would."  The driver blew up and started going on again about not knowing the roads, she was sorry (in a very nasty voice), etc. 

I could have said a lot, but didn't.  I knew she could have taken a freeway to get us to our drop off, but she didn't.  She took the scenic route through the Heights.  With a stopsign every 10 feet. 

I put on my headphones.  I didn't want to play the game. The driver was playing some kind of headgame where I was supposed to treat her as the victim of these awful roads

They didn't even give her any added trips.  I doubt she will be working at the end of the week. 

It seems that the cab program clears just about anyone to drive for the paratransit program, and the big vans are pickier.  I have seldom had a big van driver playing these head games. 

Oh, yeah, and her tiedown was broken so Ron's wheelchair was sliding all over in the back. 

We finally dropped the first client at his workshop (daycare for developmental disability). 

We got to the area.  "It's the big building up there" I told her, taking care to keep my voice level and calm.  I thought to myself, biting my tongue - I've about chewed it off! 

"What?!" she yelled  "What did you say to me?!" 

I spoke a little louder, still keeping my voice calm and level.  "It's the big building, up ahead, with the blue things." 

A minute later:  "Oh, I passed it up.  I have to go around." 

Have you ever wondered why I ask God to put His words in my mouth, His thoughts in my head, His love in my heart?  Every single morning?  This is why. 

I took a deep breath.  Downtown Houston is a maze of one-way streets.  "Oh, this is so confusing" The driver wailed as we continued to drive away from the building.  "I don't know these streets!" 

I calmly suggested she pull over in a parking lot and let us out.  I would push Ron over to the building "Since you are having trouble getting over there." 

She freaked out "I can't do that!  Make you push....!  Oh no!  In the heat!" 

"We need."  I told her very calmly "To get to our location.  Our pickup is coming in half an hour and it takes a while to make the pass.  We've already called once and explained we're running late.  We don't want to miss our ride and get a black mark.  I'm sure you don't want Ron to lose his service because you were having trouble." 

She finally took it seriously and got us over there.  Of course she took her sweet time unstrapping Ron.  "Oh!  I don't see a ramp!  We'll have to find one!" 

"We don't need a ramp" I finally released some of my impatience.  "I can push him in the street." 

She was so cheerful waving goodbye.  I hope that's the last time we get her. 

I felt so sorry for the old man with dementia, and his wife, who were going to be late for their doctor's appointment.  I hoped the language barrier would preclude any further head games. 

We got inside and they made the pass pretty quickly. 

Then we had the wait downtown.  Because it's downtown, you get a lot of very wierd semi-to-totally homeless population wandering through.  One woman was screaming at 2 metro police.   She was the first "manic" of the day.  I had to use the bathroom, where I found the rubber glove.  [twitch]  You can bet I'm taking my vitamin C tonight. 

Metro had covered up every available outlet, I guess because the homeless were using them to charge their cell phones.  They had security officers and police, as well. 

We ended up waiting about an hour. 

Our next driver was great.  We really liked her.  We went to the bank. 

I had begged, begged Ron to please go home.  No, he didn't listen.  He made a trip to go to the mall because he wanted some chicken from the food court. 

We ended up waiting over an hour on that pickup.  We met our second manic woman, another client, wandering around, jabbering about all the cabs she saw, who weren't her ride. 

Sometimes when I'm manic, and very talkative, Ron will scream "SHUT UP!" 

But I ask God to put His love in my heart... to keep me from letting out the ugly... so I just corked it and sighed. 

We were supposed to ride with her but I think the driver got that taken off.  He was very rude to us.  I smugly hoped he enjoyed having a manic, hypertalkative client.  She would be riding a while. 

I don't have permission to talk about it, but Ron felt some urgency to go home at this point.  He was pretty relieved to "see" our driver. 

The driver was dropping off a client, who remained in the vehicle, talking to the driver, jabbering away nonstop, for another 5 minutes, before the driver finally evicted her.  My third manic woman of the day. 

I was pretty weary and disgusted.  I take my meds.  I bet all the women knew they were bipolar, but either refused to accept it, or liked the manias too much to go on medication.  I felt very frustrated as I considered all the side effects I endure to manage my illness, and how irresponsible women like them make people like me look bad. 

I mean, everyone was laughing at them.  In a cruel way.   They were clearly out of control.  It was disgusting and pathetic. 

I don't feel sorry for people who know they're sick, but refuse to take medication as directed. 

Anyway, we got home before we had any problems.  I took a nap.  The cats brought me a dead bird, which I removed.  They left it by my God Time couch, which is clearly "my" territory in the home. 

I guess I should be flattered. 

What a day "off".

No comments: