Thursday, March 8, 2012

You're a very fun patient

My bladder is still killing me, but I got a decent night's sleep.  I did get into the generic urinary pain pills when I got up today.

We had to go downtown and get my backpack (and HALDOL!), so we did that.  I had to pee.

My uncle works at a large office building on the tunnel system.  Houston has a wonderful set of underground tunnels.  It's like an underground mall.  However, they aren't fans of the public bathroom.  Apparently, everyone goes back to the office to pee.

So there I am, walking all over the tunnel system.  Go over there.  The restaurant has a bathroom.  No, it didn't.  Go upstairs, there's a bathroom.  No, there isn't.  Oh, you need to walk across the street and ask the security guard.

I just knew, if I wasn't on my medication, I'd be sobbing.  I had to pee, so badly.  My bladder was completely distended, with sharp, jabbing, pains.  I finally went back to Ron (took a while to find my way back through the tunnels!), and went upstairs to my uncle's building.

I told Ron to extend his "blind man cane" and look tragic.  I found a security guard, and cheerfully told him he could help prevent a terrible medical emergency, by directing me to a bathroom.  He told me I had to take the elevator, and "walk across the building".  Cry with me, here.

Praise God I finally did find the toilet.  Of course the urinary painkiller made the bowl look hideous, like some horrible crime scene.  Then I had a minute figuring out the auto-flush.  Finally, back to Ron and outside for our ride.

We went home, and ate lunch.  Ron was exhausted.  Would I mind if he called me a cab instead of taking me to the doctor?  I didn't mind.

Frankly, I was worried I'd have to ride forever, needing to urinate.  Better to get a straight trip.  A cab came pretty quick, he knew us, and took me straight.

I got there 45 minutes early, but I had 2 romance novels, my kindle, 2 refillable water bottles, and my backpack.  I know waiting rooms.

I've seen doc before:  http://houstonheather.blogspot.com/2009/08/hives.html

I really enjoyed his matter-of-fact attitude towards my mental illness.  A lot of doctors get very stiff and fearful.

Dude, I take my pills.  Nothing to worry about!

This guy is great, definitely worth the wait.  He was pretty busy but I read my book.  He said my urine test came back infected, but not too bad.  He wrote me a prescription and we talked a little.  He got my psychiatrists' number, so he can make referrals.

I liked the fact that I know macrolide antibiotics interact with my Haldol, and so did Doc.  As I left, he said "You've been a very fun patient".

Thank you!

No comments: