Tuesday, March 20, 2012

So what about the Bible Handout?

Nothing makes me panic, like a plumbing problem involving rushing water.  Especially if I don't have a way to turn it off.  I feel so helpless and victimized, as I hear the rushing sound that says "Heather, you are paying for every drop!"  

Happily, the sinkhole issue was repaired yesterday.  I had a lot of anxiety we'd have another broken water pipe, but the meter reader alerted the water company and they sent out their crew.  They spent hours fixing the sinkhole and replacing all the pipes, leaving me a beautiful, hole-free front yard.  

Thank you, Lord.  I felt very safe and protected.  

I always expect problems around a Bible handout; so last night, when I went in the bathroom and found the water running madly, in the toilet, I had to laugh.  Then, I tried to turn off the water to the toilet and had even more rushing water from the shut off valve.  

Ron was asleep.  I almost screamed in frustration.  I left the water supply on - I had to.  I didn't have a key to turn off the house water supply (fixing this week).  So, I lay in bed listening to the rushing water sound laughing at me and reminding me we would NOT have another $20 water bill (I was so proud of it).  

AGH.  Then I jumped on poor Ron the minute he woke up, having mild hysterics.  At first he didn't hear it and we had a really stupid argument.  He thought I was hallucinating!  

OH, I have to hold my head in my hands and laugh for a minute, here.  Happily, he fixed the shut off valve, so we will be getting the parts tomorrow.  He's sure he can fix it.  

If not, I ran into a plumber at the Christian bookstore, so I have a name.  I said "I'd call you in a minute, if you shop here!"  I may.  

SCREAM.  So, that's how I started my day.  

Ron has been hugely supportive, he took me to the Christian bookstore yesterday, and took me on the handout today.  I set him up at a fast food place, with a breakfast meal and easy bathroom access.  He had his talking book, he was happy.  

I went out and did the handout.  

Funny thing, though.  I did a lot of planning.  But I never bothered to ask God what He thought.  I just started planning the handout the minute I got the Bibles.  

I don't mind "working" in the rain, but I didn't stop to think.  If it's raining hard, no one will open a window.  

So, I only did about 40.  When it started to hail, I called it quits.  I also had a strong prompting to stop.  

I was very disappointed as I took my cart back to the fast food restaurant.  Horrified when we ended up waiting for 2 hours, with me in wet clothes in air conditioning.  

So happy to get home and take a nap, but Ron forgot I was sleeping and kept talking back to the TV!  [laughing]  However, he did watch a show and decided to turn off his text messages.  

That's the bad news.  

The good news, I ran into 2 recipients from my last handout.  One even asked about Ron.  They seemed really happy to see me again and that made me smile.  I told my recipients (everyone today) I'd be praying for them and they really seemed touched and appreciative.  

I want them to have a special experience.  I want to make it as meaningful as possible.  That may sound odd coming from a woman waving a laminated sign on a corner.  My first Bible was special.  They had a lovely ceremony at church.  I want them to have a nice card, my prayers, and a pretty Bible to enjoy.  

Well, my donors take care of the Bibles, I'm spending my Bible money on cards now, and you know I'm praying every day.  

I had two "favorites".  Once I got set up, I held up the sign, and immediately the woman in front of me rolled down her window.  "My husband just left me".  I told her I'd be praying daily, and she smiled sadly, as she drove off.  She is in my prayers.  

The second one was more fun.  Sometimes I get an excited child - wants a Bible, but the parent says no. I walked by, saying "Sorry, kid" as I walked away.  I went down the row.  Everyone said no.  I walked back, the boy had his window down, reaching out a hand.  Yay!  I gave him two, "One for Dad!"  

That was fun.  I hate to see a child deprived of a Bible, if they so clearly want it.  

Not today!  

God's let me know, time to get off the morning commute.  They are Bibled out.  

Ron's been pushing me to work in the afternoon.  I think he's right.  

He says he'll "come with".  It's so much fun to have him on a  handout, and the recipients seem to find it fun, too.  

3 comments:

Jonathan W said...

It is quite presumptuous of you to offer a child a bible with out parents permission. I know you feel strongly about what you believe, but your " truth" is not everyone's reality. You may be Christian, not everyone is. While you see your path as the only correct one,that is not true for all. Nor is your path, prayer or feeling about God the whole truth. Most folks are understanding and accepting of you faith. I would die for you right to practice. But as a parent I can tell you, I would be quite offended if you offered my child religious material with out asking me first. No evil force puts this into my brain. Just maternal instinct. I do not teach my children the fear of devil,slave to a supernatural being you believe in, I teach them to believe in God in everyone. You must believe in the devil to fear it. We do not. So p,ease take tad ice and hold off on the kids. It is not your job to evangelize them. Parents get to guide them in the faith of their choice,if any.
There is tjis all or nothing, we believe in freedom of religion, adults are free to listen and choose. But going after kids is quite unfair and honestly offensive and off putting. You seem bummed when a parent denies a child a bible. Heather they have the right and are right if their own faith or lack of is not the same as yours
I know in your heart you believe in ultimate truth. But the reality is, they believe just as strongly in their truth.
Adults are cool, kids I too would be not only off put you assume I am ncorrct but insulted you have no respect for my parental choices for my kids are notcorrectbecause you donor hold the same.
I wish you well, think your bible handouts are fine and support your rights of freedom to believe and spread what you believe to be Gods word. Just understand kids are a different story pleaeedo not offer " my" child your idea of truth unless you in private ask. Fair is fair..the parents refusal should be in private and NOT in front of the child so they look like the bad guy
Thank you

Heather Knits said...

Boy, you must be an olympic athlete. Sport? Jumping to conclusions.

Any parent has the car windows on child lock. The little boy asked his father, and when I had come back the FATHER had allowed the son to roll the window down.

THE FATHER wanted me to give his child a Bible. He was smiling the whole time, and chuckled when I said "Here's one for your Dad".

Now, I am going to let the rest of your post speak for itself.

The way I see it, kids are exposed to "non-christian" influences for 10+ hours a day. "Witchcraft is fun". "God is in everyone". "All religions are the same", "The earth has feelings".

Do you really think a 20 second exposure to me is going to undo all the secular hard work? Really?

And if it could, that isn't me. That's God, in me.

This is a Christian blog, in case you didn't notice.

I am praying for you everyday.

Anonymous said...

Jonathan, I've corresponded with Heather for some time. She has never "forced" her Christian views on anyone, much less a child.

When I first met Heather, I was practicing as a Wiccan. Heather never judged me for that, but at the same time, stayed strong in her faith and showed me a good example of what a Christian should be. We also share in the same mental health issue (Bipolar Disorder) and I found inspiration through her story.

Many, many things brought me to Christ (or rather, brought me back..) but I credit Heather's prayers with part of it, and her example.

But that is a whole other story.

With all that kids are exposed to nowadays..drugs, gangs, violence, sex, etc..is having someone pray for them and offer them a Bible really the absolute worst influence that could happen? Heather is not indoctrinating others or forcing them into her way of life. She is offering it. She always asks parents' permission, if you read her posts thoroughly.

I notice that many times, people have no issue with kids being taught secular values, or learning witchcraft or other such things, but have them get a taste of Christianity and it gets people's backs up. I'm not saying you are like that, but it seems prevalent in society today. I will never understand it. Even when I was not a Christian, if someone offered me a Bible or to pray for me, I didn't find that offensive. With all of the hate in the world, how is praying for someone a "bad" thing?

What is reading a Bible going to harm ? Most people of different or no belief don't see study of different religions as a negative thing.

I do see your points, but I think you are misreading what Heather is trying to do here. She isn't forcing things on anyone..simply offering up her way of faith.

I'm praying for you.