Saturday, January 28, 2012

Nothing to see

I love disaster fiction and movies.  If I have a few idle hours, I'd love to spend it with a massive volcano, earthquake, bioterror, EMP, zombies, etc.

One common theme in the disaster fiction, humanity pulls together and saves itself.  It makes wonderful art.

Don't get me wrong, we are capable of tremendous self-sacrifice and acts of amazing courage.  But collaterally, we suck.

So, as I watch the noble ending scene, some poor bastard has just sacrificed himself to save the entire planet (sometimes the Sci-fi movies let him or her live); the noble theme builds, and humanity rises to its' collective feet in joy and celebration.  We saved ourselves.

And I sob like a baby because I know better.  We CANNOT save ourselves.

You may think, "Heather, you're a born-again Christian.  You're evangelical.  You pray for the guy who mugged you.  Don't you think more of humanity?"

No, I don't.  I love people, those who are saved and the unreached.  I want to reach the latter group and impart my faith to them.  Ron and I have put ourselves at risk, more than once, to help others.  God knows what we did.

Humanity as a whole?  [scoff]  Move along, nothing to see.  Ron's been ranting all night about a chemical spill cover-up.  Kids are neurologically damaged and most likely will never recover.  He's furious and distraught.  I heard him talking to God and it was pretty heated.

Ron recently read a book about EMP.  Fiction.  "The Moment After" I think.

"Heather" he told me "All a terrorist would have to do is trigger an EMP.  We would destroy ourselves."  He's right.  I agree completely.  I have seen enough incidents of mob mentality to confirm his diagnosis.

Take a blizzard, for instance.  I grew up on the East Coast.  We had some horrible blizzards growing up; and one thing they always featured - the grocery store runs.  People literally stampeding into the grocery store to stock up.  The same thing happens in hurricane country when a big one is coming.

People don't prepare in advance, then they wonder why the government won't save them.  Sorry, they're busy stopping the looters - the people who didn't "need" a disaster kit and went looting after they ran out of food.

Even now, the government is telling people to have at least 2 week's worth of food, just in case.  www.ready.gov has a whole checklist.  I would love to do an audit of my subdivision and find out just how many people have that.

I don't even watch the news, I get so nauseated.  Humanity as a whole, sucks.  Rodents take better care of their young.  We have nothing to redeem ourselves.  I don't know why God loves us.

I wouldn't love us if I were God.

Here's my other favorite; talk about Jesus and salvation and watch how angry they get.  I tell people, if you see anything good in me, that's God.  Anything ugly - that's me.

God takes us out of ourselves and makes us a lot better than we ever could be, otherwise.  I can't wait to get raptured.  The way things are, I have to assume it could be any minute.

When I do my God Time, Ron always says the same thing:

"Tell Him to hurry up" (and rapture us).

Hurry up.

No comments: