Friday, January 16, 2009

My music

My music makes me incredibly happy. There's nothing I love better than living my life to a soundtrack. Today at work Ron had a small personal crisis. I had to drop everything I needed to help him. I had a lot more work as a result.

It's easy, as a caregiver, to get into the whole resentment loop. I have to watch myself. Let me put on my drama queen crown: I do so much. He doesn't appreciate me... except he does. :P I'm a fairly royal pain myself, today Ron had to remind me to feed the cats and fill up their water bowl... both bowls were almost completely empty. No wonder they kept begging for treats!

Part of my glamourous job as Mrs. Ron/assistant manager [our] Vending Company involves taking out a rolling dumpster cart. 16 cubic feet. I take it about a quarter of a mile, then dump it into the compactor. I tilt it back up, and take it back down the hall to our stockroom.

Fortunately, I had my tunes. I've got about 100 tracks on my MP3 player. As I came back, I was singing along with "Don't Bring me Down" by ELO. It was about 7 AM. I had gotten to work at 4:30.

A few Postal Workers stopped, did double takes, and smiled. One or two pointedly avoided me. [shrug] Oh, well. My singing is pretty awful, my dance moves even worse. I listened to my tunes as I helped Ron, filled the vending machines, did the "menial" job of unloading our pallet, and verified that the recalled peanut butter crackers were NOT in our vending machines.

After work, an exciting outside wait for a half hour in the cold. It wasn't too bad. I had my tunes.

And, best of all, this afternoon I finally figured out how to tell Windows Media Player to "find" all the tunes on my hard drive. Instead of the same old tracks, I have hours and hours of fun. I've been listening non-stop ever since. I can hear my music in the kitchen, doing dishes, making coffee, surfing Ebay, and feeding the cats for a change.

I'm glad something so simple can give me so much joy.

No comments: