Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Things to do

I'm becoming more of an advocate for bipolar disorder. I enjoy educating people. I find that a good thing.

I'm a Christian who believes that everything I have comes from God. How am I using what He gave me?

Here's a funny story. Back in 1998-99 I got manic for charity. I donated so much to one charity I was invited to a formal dinner! I volunteered at an agency that dealt with abused children. I gave 2/3 of my closet to various charities.

I like that now. It's "cute". After that fiasco, where I almost had the electricity cut off because I'd given too much to a charity, I was more cautious.

I didn't really do any kind of "planned giving" other than calling up the Salvation Army now and then and asking them to "Take it away!".

I've been considering donating a small part of my paycheck to charity every month. So far, I have a few contenders:
#1 http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf They're definitely getting a cut.
#2 http://www.sohmission.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=195 "He who is kind to the poor, lends to the Lord" - our local rescue mission. My Dad works for a similar type agency.
#3. http://www.namonline.org/site/c.ktJYJ7MNIuE/b.2035351/k.C767/About_Us.htm I like what they do, they're local. I actually didn't notice them for a while but something happened I'll diclose later. Not overtly faith-based.
#4. I've always liked Doctors without Borders. http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
#5. How can I forget the FAS Community Resource Center? Theresa does amazing work on educating America and beyond about Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (she adopted a child with FAS, one of the first to be formally diagnosed). http://www.come-over.to/FASCRC/
#6 I'd like to do some kind of Bible/help persecuted Christians thing eventually.
#7 Going back to one of my original thoughts, I'd like to donate to NAMI - they do advocacy and education for the "mentally ill". http://www.nami.org/ They do good work.

OK, now to tell my story about the Northwest Assistance Ministries. We've only been there a few times, riding with another paratransit client. This client is an older lady, very opinionated.

My lithium acts as a diuretic and I have to "go" every couple hours without fail. One day I had been riding around for over an hour, the driver had gone over many speed bumps into this other lady's apartment complex, then out again, stuck in traffic. I was about to pop. This lady lectured me about proper bladder control and told me not to take my medication when I'd be out in public. I'm not doing that! She was very critical of me.

I told the driver I had go, who let me out at a Burger King. I ran inside while he ferried the client to her destination. Dropping me off only took about 30 seconds, but every time we've seen the woman since then I always get the "Oh, you're the one who couldn't wait to go to the bathroom" in a harsh, judging tone of voice. I am a sensitive soul.

I find it hurtful that she constantly does that. Anyway, every time we pick her up she goes to NAM. God put it in my heart that I should pray for her (which I do) and that I should consider donating to NAM.

But I didn't want to donate to a program that helps women like HER! But wait, a minute, isn't there something in the Bible?

Matthew 5:44-46
But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,

Mat 5:45
that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Mat 5:46
For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?

So, I'm going to donate because God wants me to do so. I won't even mention it the next time we pick her up.

No comments: