Friday, January 23, 2009

Seventh Commandment

I am ashamed to admit I don't have the 10 commandments memorized. I could probably get them all down, in order, but I don't "know" them the way I should.

One I do know, is #7. Don't steal.

When I was a teenager, I shoplifted. Probably a few hundred dollar's worth of merchandise total. I was caught and "dealt with".

I could excuse myself by saying I was taking an antidepressant without a mood stabilizer, which made me "manic". I had no respect for rules and authority as a result. I was sick, but I knew it was wrong when I did it.

I have very few secrets - my life is an open book and you can read it all in my blogs. It's up to you to decide if that's a good thing.

So, how did my sin affect my life? Well, I was stolen from on several occasions. My husband was stolen from. Some thug broke into our stockroom and stole $500 in quarters. We even knew who did it - he told us "They didn't take all the money, only half!" - something only the thief would know (and not something we had disclosed). It was horrible to work with this man and know he was a thief, had stolen $500 of hard-earned money from my blind husband in a wheelchair and we didn't have the evidence to prosecute.

God dealt with him, though. He had invested thousands of dollars into his car, and it mysteriously erupted in flames, on the Beltway, and was burned to a crisp. The man was furious. I told him "Now you know how we felt". God really does repay, you know.

So, I know what it feels like to have a short register, because some short-change artist told me I didn't give him proper change; or I gave too much money back and someone didn't return it. I know how it feels to have a crackhead break into my garage and drag off my lawnmower as I scream invective at him, stark naked, standing in my driveway (before medication -wink).

I "aim" to be a very honest person. To be completely honest, I recently went shopping at a craft store. I wasn't charged for something I bought. It cost $2. I've been near the store, and I haven't gone in there and fixed it up. That's not cool. I need to make that right. It's been weeks.

Today I went to Walmart. I like eating at the McDonalds. I know the people there and they understand my odd way of eating. They've seen me lose 60 pounds.

I had some business at the Walmart, running errands for Ron. Then, he went home on Metrolift. I had a 32 ounce soda cup, filled with iced tea. I took it to the Post Office, a bit of a walk.

After I finished my business, I put the package in my cart and went to the McDonalds. "I'd like to buy a refill" I said, as I held up my cup.

Fifty-four cents. That's a small price to pay. The sign is very clear "No refills after leaving restaurant", so I purchase my refills. It was delicious, cold and refreshing, and lasted me through my shopping and all the way home.

I'm a sinner, we all are, but I aim to keep as many commandments as I can. I don't ever intend to steal anything.

So, I'll buy my refills and go to the craft store when I get paid.

No comments: