Saturday, January 17, 2009

Going bipolar

I was recently reading a message board and a woman referred to a violent ex-husband as "going bipolar" on her. I sent her a message:

I found your comment about XH "Going bipolar" very hurtful. Bipolar disorder does not always equate to mental and physical abuse. Please be careful - bipolar is an illness, not an adjective to describe horrible behavior. It is an incredibly treatable illness, too. I have it myself. It is EXTREMELY offensive to use it the way you did. It stigmatizes everyone with bipolar disorder, including very responsible, kind and loving people such as myself. He may have had bipolar illness, and he chose not to get it treated, I'll guess he probably factored drugs and alcohol into the equation, which made him hateful, but people are not hateful because they have bipolar illness. The best way I heard it described is "It makes you more of what you are". I gave too much money to charity and wouldn't shut up when I was manic. I know it wasn't your intent to be hurtful; but it's very painful for people who do have a valid mental illness, under treatment, at a great personal and physical cost, to be lumped in with your violent XH. Thank you


She replied, basically stating "All you people are alike, you can't make me change my mind". Well, I disagree.

I stand by what I said. I know many people with bipolar illness who WOULD have "gone bipolar" on the woman for making that statement. I'm a Christian. I pointed it out, told her I'd pray for her, I plan to pray for her, and I'll leave it up to God to handle her bigotry.

Please, it's an illness, not an adjective.

Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather I look forward to your blog posts I stumbled upon you and am very glad. you are a wise woman. I am an RN who works with BiPolar and FAS amongst other types of mental "illness" I hate that term. Anyway I have a deep concern and empathy for the brain betraying a person and really you have helped so much. Please keep posting and I will keep reading.. I hope a lot more people besides me do.

what I really notice is how aware you are of when your cycles come and how you try to nip it in the bud when you mind runs off

awesome I wish you could come teach your magic to some of my sweet sweet patients who really want to but seem to be caught in such rought loops

take care I wish you well and girl you are looking hot and turning heads! good for you

Heather Knits said...

Thank you Alice!

I'm just glad that what I have is treatable! A very sad statistic, is that over 35% of FAS people also have bipolar disorder!

I really hope to inform/educate/entertain people. I'd be posting even if I had 10 broken fingers (God forbid!).

Hugs - H.