Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Do you like my pedicure?

It was supposed to rain today. When I got up, the weather said 40% chance. I had an odd headache and a lot of lethargy today. Maybe it was the falling barometric pressure. It made for an uncomfortable morning, but I still had a lot of fun.

I checked on the babies in my garden first. All the transplants look great and the tomatoes look vigorous. The weather's warm and I'm not going to work. I woke jeans, sandals, and a t-shirt.

First stop, Walmart. I got my driver candy ($20). It looks like Hershey's is discontinuing the milk chocolate cherry cordial kisses. One of our drivers loves those things. I found a bag hiding in with the dark chocolate, so I got it. I have a nice mix of candy now that ought to last me for about a month. Yay. I like getting it first so it doesn't cut into my fun money.

Next stop, garden center. The employees all know me by sight; I got to talking with one guy and it turns out he loves beets. I'm going to grow some more and give them to him. He loves beets, I love growing them. I can't stand to eat them, though. I'm often there so when I harvest them odds are I'll see him. Good. I also got some carrot seed, "Short and Sweet". It's ready in about 2 months. I may be able to squeeze in a harvest before it gets too warm. Yum. I remember growing up in Virginia, we had a lady down the street who grew her own vegetables. She used to hand out carrots to the kids on Halloween. I remember being amazed at the lush tops. I guess Mom cooked them, I don't remember eating them raw.

I went ahead and got some 12 gram seed packets (Detroit beets, Champion radishes, I forget the third thing). It's easier than hassling with little ones. I got some more beans and marigolds. Ah, that was it, I got a 12 gram packet of double mixed bicolor marigolds. I got some more Jiffy Pellets (only available at Walmart in the spring) and some netting for my fence posts. It'll be a lot of fun when the plants start climbing the netting. I staggered the garden beds so nobody shades out anyone else, even factoring in the vertical growth/shade factor. I'm very pleased at my foresight. All told, the garden center only added another $20 to my total.

I finally broke down and got myself a bra. I'm a bigger band size, glad I checked. No wonder my current ones are uncomfortable. I'm not going to gnash my teeth, I'm not gaining weight and haven't for at least 8 months. I tried on a couple and was happy to discover that the cheap, $6 cotton bra was very comfortable. No way was I buying the $4 one, though. That looked awful. The other contender cost $14. Yay. If I really like it I'll get another one after I get paid. I read somewhere that they're only supposed to be good for a year or two anyway. Huh.

I got more soda! Two cases. Ron wanted a box of red wine and some popcorn, so his went in the cart too (he gave me his debit card). Exciting things like toilet bowl cleaner and all of a sudden, I realized that Ron forgot to call me. Our ride could be here NOW.

I raced to the checkout. A very nice lady rang me up. I bolted over to McDonalds and got us a couple of double cheeseburgers, just ketcup. Ron tried a bite of mine once and decided he liked it, so it's easy to order now. Right as I got our burgers, the Metrolift came.

Before I tell you about the ride home I'll remind you, I had a headache, I felt groggy and sick and wierd. I was determined to have a good day, though. We picked up another client, a middle-aged woman. She was wearing a work ID badge. She was sitting behind the driver and Ron and I were sitting in the back on the passenger side. She didn't meet our eyes or say anything. That's fine. Ron and I chatted amongst ourselves and with the driver. We're pretty outgoing. I felt odd, like someone was staring at me. I looked at the client.

I wore sandals today. Kind of a fake birkenstock, you can walk miles in them or stand on them all day long. They aren't the wimpy, strappy kind but they're feminine. I realized the client is glaring at my feet. No. I look again. Still glaring and staring at my feet. I look down at my feet. Still my feet. They look fine to me. I look at the client, she won't meet my eyes and she's still glaring.

"Do you like my pedicure?" I asked. She didn't respond, and I kept looking at her. Finally, she stops hating on my feet and stares at the wheelchair lift again. WEIRD.

Hm. That's up on my list of strange metrolift rides, right next to the time a mentally disabled client started groping at Ron's crotch, trying to get into his fanny pack. He was very cool about it, he just folded his arms over his waist and pressed down onto his fanny pack, saying "No" in a very calm voice.

After we got home, I told Ron I was very happy with how I handled the whole thing. "And I wasn't a bitch, either." He gives me the look that only a totally blind husband of 15 years can give.

"OK, I wasn't much of a bitch." He snickered. "As long as you know it."

My long-awaited book arrived later, and then we went to Half-Price books. I sold a couple of unwanted garden books and got a credit. I walked out with a Texas garden book and an old Sunset garden book "Vegetable Gardens". They both are a lot more relevant to my library.

When we got home, I was cranky. I told Ron I didn't want to take a nap, I wanted to garden. I realize I have to sacrifice quantity for quality but sometimes it's tough. When I woke up, it was raining. No gardening today!

I'm bagging up unwanted clothes right now for the Salvation Army. Like I told Ron, as I lose weight I can always buy more. My tastes run to jeans and tshirt so it's cheap to redo my wardrobe. Pretty much everything I wear comes from Walmart.

They're going to LOVE me in a couple of days. I've already got at least 2 huge "contractor" bags of clothes. Good stuff, clean and wearable. You could stock half the store with this stuff.

No comments: