Monday, February 25, 2008

Dumb S**t that's been setting me off lately

Recently I've been a little irritable, and normal peeves have really got me steaming. I'm not about to "go off" on anyone, but I thought maybe I'd share it and you could get a laugh over the stupid crap that pushes my buttons.

  • The people behind us (we live in a nice area) own a pitbull. Why? It's a nice safe area, no robberies, no violent crimes. The worst we get is a car burglary. So why the 90 pound monster? All it does it BARK BARK BARK all day and night. It barks at me when I'm in my own back yard. Thank God we have a 5 foot high wooden fence (reasonably sturdy). On the plus side, the local law allows us to call in a noise complaint on barking dogs late at night, and when the owner let the dog out today and it barked at me she corrected him. How nice that I can enjoy my own yard, except for the BARKING. UGH.

  • Strange children coming up to me and asking me questions. Don't their parents know about CHILD MOLESTERS and CRAZY people like me? They all seem to be rude and intrusive. The little boy next door almost neutered himself on New Year's. He came running over onto our property and stood right over a rocket I was in the process of lighting (I was able to get the lighter away in time). I don't have kids for a reason. I am not dangerous (unless you are a leaf-footed stinkbug), but I could be. The parents don't know - they're never around! I've had neighbor kids walking into my house without invitation(to "pet the cat"). They have no idea. I'm safe, but other people aren't. But I can't say anything because that means I'm telling them how to parent, or "interfering" with the child-raising. I try to be polite and dismissive, but I really worry about those kids. The world is not gentle. AGH. Ron, by the way, told the "walking in the house" kids not to come over after that, because "We're very tired after work".

  • My biggest peeve, blind people who won't admit it. If you can't read print and barely walk a straight line, YOU ARE BLIND. Admit it. Get over it. Carry a white cane so people know you are blind - even the thugs, crackheads, homeless, and prostitutes are helpful (ask my husband, who's gotten help from all of them at times). The worst problem Ron ever encountered was in an apartment complex. He was coming home from work late one night and the drug dealer on the corner stopped him. "Don't step on the cat, man. He's lying right across the sidewalk." The cat got up and greeted Ron. "Oh, you feed him too?" Yes, we did. It was our cat. The drug dealer confided "He really likes hot links." No one is going to "Pop you in the head and rob you" like we were told by one woman. See, she lived on the third floor, she was blind but wouldn't carry a white cane. She wanted the Metrolift driver to come up 3 flights of stairs and then walk her down them. "Because I have a little trouble seeing." Ron asked if she was blind and she said yes, but "I don't want anyone to know." No, she's going to put everyone ELSE out so she can maintain a delusion. It was a nice apartment in a safe area, again, the worst crimes were car burglaries. I can understand the whole machismo thing with men, but women who won't carry a white cane baffle me. I admit my disabilies. I don't like them, wish I didn't need help, but I ask for the help I need and take care of everything I can on my own. That's the Independent Living philosophy: Do what you can, then get help.

  • Next peeve, people with a disability who act like the whole world is supposed to kiss their ass. I endure NASTY side effects so I am a pleasant, likable person. I know that no one deserves to deal with "Heather the Hatchet". Just because you have a physical or mental problem, doesn't entitle you to crap all over everyone else. We are not your servants. Having a disability doesn't mean you get to treat everyone else like crap, because you're mad. So what? We all are. To quote Jimmy Carter and my dad, "Life isn't fair".

  • Good example here, I had to edit the last thing because my spelling is atrocious when I'm taking my meds. So bad I typed "selling" instead of "spelling" just now. But I'm not screaming at the dog, which is barking again. It's not a bad dog, and no one's going through THAT yard to get to us. Ha ha.

  • I just talked to Ron, my husband. I told him "Hey, you're not on the list of things that piss me off!" How nice. Really. He's good for me.

  • Oh, here's my last one. Now, I'm fat. Clinically, I'm fat. I weigh about 75 pounds more than my ideal weight. OK? I ate all kinds of bad things when I was sick, making me fat. Now I'm medicated, but my pills can interfere with weight loss. My weight and size have been steady for months now. Eventually, I will start working out again, go lowest-carb, and lose it. I eat less than 100 grams of starch most days, and probably about 100 grams of sugary carbs. Total honesty here. I don't even tell my husband this. I eat moderately low carb, now I guess. "Induction" on Atkins is no sugar and less than 20 grams of leafy vegetable carbs every day. I'll get there. But it is disgusting to watch a morbidly obese person, too fat to fit into a minivan (I wish I were kidding) loading up the large van with powdered sugar drink mix, sodas, bread, pasta, TV dinners, beer, pastries, and desserts. No salad, very little meat. I see it. Then they complain about their health on the ride home? My arthritis is killing me? I BET! I try to keep my weight down, I'm not gorging myself at every opportunity. Ugh. Maybe God is using them to show me my future. But I would never end up like that. Never. The only thing worse than them are the diabetics who complain about their health on the way to dialysis, you're looking at them, they're easily 100 pounds overweight, and you know everything is THEIR FAULT. "My pancreas got overworked" one guy told me today. Well, who did that? It wasn't me! "I used to drink a lot back in the day" he said later. Exactly. Now the taxpayers are footing the bill for your bad judgement, but they won't help me get my medications so I can stay sane. It's a crazy world. '

Thank you. I feel much better. These are my opinions only. Take 'em or leave 'em. Like I told my husband "I don't think anyone's dumb enough to read a post entitled 'Things that piss me off' expecting an inspirational article."

No comments: