Monday, February 4, 2008

Never!

I'm glas we're on good terms with the other vendor. We both work at the relationship, because you've got two competing businessmen in the same line of work. It can get ugly if you don't team up.

Things were OK before, but they're certainly a lot better since I started my medication. I talk to them, I'm an extrovert. Ron's really more of an introvert but he is social when he's out in public. He's happy sitting alone at Starbucks for hours, where I'm blogging and yakking at my Metrolift driver. I told everyone at work about my sweet potato, and was told by Ray, the country boy, that I'm "Doing it right". It amuses Ron.

Ron's boss called a while ago and said the Plant Manager had called him, and they needed to meet (Ron's boss and Ron). Of course we were having heart attacks. It's like your boss calling you into his office and telling you to shut the door. This is probably very bad.

This morning, I heard the other vendor (our stockrooms are right across the hall from each other and we both keep our doors open, good thing) saying "... And I had a heart attack for FOUR DAYS over the call and then it turns out it's about the deli?! I was pissed!"

I immediately alerted and asked him what he meant. Turns out the plant manager saw the awning over our old deli window and wanted to know "What happened to the deli? Can they reopen it?" So now our boss has to have a formal meeting with us, hear us say no, and not open it. I hope.

I can't repeat what Ron said. The deli was open nights, and lost about $1000 a month. The customers were very difficult and demanding. Some of our employees were threatened by the customers, who would say "Oh, I was kidding". Ron had to talk to a couple of the customers about their constant bad attitudes and tell them to stop, or stop coming in. You can tell the attitudes bothered me the most. Especially when I was unmedicated. I actually got into some arguments. I just don't like playing the social games where people insult your merchandise, and you're supposed to act like it's funny. Or they insult the speed at which your working, and try to tell you how to run the business. If they could run a business, they wouldn't be working at the plant, would they?

So, we lost $1000 a month on the deli. The customers were difficult, and the state got tired of paying for expensive repairs on the equipment that could have been turning a profit somewhere else. They didn't even close it after Ron got run over by a postal worker, they told him "Come back to work in your wheelchair and run it or resign". But when the refrigeration units started breaking down, they said "Forget it" and closed the deli (also many prayers on my part).

The deli was a hellish experience that literally almost killed us both. I hate that they think that someone can make a phone call and make our lives a living hell again.

Tomorrow, I'm DEMANDING that Ron's boss get that awning removed. We've had a new plant manager at least every year, and seeing that awning raises expectations. They see the word "Deli" and they want one, even if they were totally happy with a vend-a-teria before.

No comments: