Saturday, July 7, 2007

Spinning adventures

I made my first skein (ei, Heather, ei) of yarn last night! I decided to play with my gray Icelandic wool. The nice thing about Paradise Fibers, you can get from 1 ounce to many pounds of many different wools and other spinnable things. I digress.

So, I'm watching Fox (Bones and Standoff - Friday nights at my place) and spinning. I'm a wild woman. I'm surprised the neighbors didn't call the police! I spun up about a half ounce of yarn before I realized, oops, I did it "backwards". The yarn is rotated in either a clockwise (usual way) or counterclockwise direction as you spin the "singles". Then two or more "singles" are twisted together (plied) to form a strand of yarn.

I spun the singles counterclockwise. The resulting yarn (after plying) will be excellent for crocheting. So I figured, what the heck, I'll try plying these rascals tonight. I did and the resulting yarn is GREAT! I even overdyed the natural gray with some grape Koolaid. I love it.

I terrorized Ron with the yarn (look at this!). Some people get strange about this, but when I tell Ron to "look" at something I'm really telling him to feel it. He did and he was very impressed. He's a good guy.

On Monday, I plan to take my yarn to work and terrorize some other people with it, as well. Ray, the sandwich delivery guy, is very interested.

I'm going to finish this up before the that thunderhead blows up. Besides, I gotta take my Lithium.

No comments: