Saturday, July 21, 2007

All set for winter now!

I think, in yesterday's post, I mentioned how I wanted some good gloves for winter.

My requirements:
  • Wool
  • Fold-back mitten/fingerless glove style (great for needlework or writing checks out in the cold weather)
  • Ideally, a tough palm that wouldn't pill like the fold back mitten/fingerless glove style I bought last year in a cheap acrylic. It pilled like a drug addict!
  • A color I could look at every day.

I found it! Yeah! I am so happy. It's even got a Thinsulate lining so I'll stay EXTRA toasty (I hate cold extremities). Here's the link: http://www.palmflex.com/storefront/detail.aspxID=506

At less than $20 WITH shipping, I told Ron I had no problem buying them then and there. That's why I keep the extra $20 in my debit account. This morning, I bought two wool watch caps at the surplus store (I'm not the biggest fan, they always look at me like I'm some kind of specimen or shoplifter). Anyway, I got 2 wool caps. One for me, one for Ron (If he wants it).

They're extra long so he can pull it down over his face - being blind he prefers to do so. Women especially tend to freak out over ski masks so we avoid them, and they let in too much air for his taste anyway.

Hence the title, I'm all set for winter now. I've got toasty wool gloves, toasty wool hats, a warm wrap/shawl in progress, and some cheerful bright yellow yarn/future scarf. I bought a nice long (ankle-length) coat a few months ago, and a fake sheepskin lined (ALWAYS wanted one) jacket - both at Goodwill. Neither coat has any velcro - an important considerating for me, working with easily snagged fibers while waiting outside in the cold. Knitting last year was SO aggravating with the velcro coat closures. I only spent $20 combined on the two coats.

Yeah! Almost done. I even have a couple nice warm pairs of wool socks (hint to those who may be considering presents - wool socks) that I adore on chilly days. I just need to make my legwarmers after I finish "Sue's thing".

Today was wonderful. We went to Burger King in the morning after sleeping late. Ron got a burger to go and put it in the backpack he brought. I went to the surplus store and came back while he murdered tacos, fries, and onion rings (I didn't leave him many fries though).

After we got home I took a nap for a couple hours. Ahhhh. Just what I needed.

No comments: