Friday, July 20, 2007

Major Yarn Purge

Well, today I'm doing better. Everyone's suffering, my pain isn't unique. In fact, it's shared by one percent of any given population. Kind of odd for me to think about being a member of such a large "family" when I think about it. What's one percent of 4 billion Americans? 4 million, I think. Needless to say, a lot of zeros. I'm surely not alone!

I really appreciate my medication these days when I realize that without it, at that point and time, I'd be flying into the stratosphere, compelled to spend all my money on odd things, picking fights, and acting wierd. I'm very glad I'm not doing any of those things, just a little more "peppy" feeling than normal. In the midst of this paragraph, I got whalloped with a dizzy spell. STILL better than being manic.

Take Knitpicks, for instance. A wonderful store, they carry a wide selection of gorgoeous yarns. It's very easy to find something I want, especially when they've just trotted out their new fall products. I have a wish list on my desk: one bulky alapaca-wool blend yarn, two different "twist" sock yarns (I am very partial to "twist" colorways), two different worsted twists, and two worsted heathers (I always have fun with heathers). I couldn't buy just one ball, either, I'd have to buy two.

How I can tell the pills work:
1. I only want to buy two each, and maybe not even that.
2. I'm rethinking the sock yarn.
3. My "Don't buy unless you plan to knit it up and have the project in mind" policy.
4. Maybe just buy the worsted twists, the bulky, and start from there.
5. Wait until my next paycheck before I get that, even. If I still want them, they'll be there. It's new stuff, they ordered trucks full.

And the list remains on my desk. My money remains in my pocket (and my debit account). I'm fine with that. Hobbies are supposed to be fun, after all.

I've done a major yarn purge - 99% of my acrylic yarn, and most of the wool-blends. I've got wool, wool-mohair, and some wool-alpaca blends sitting in their storage bench. That's it. Maybe a couple dozen balls and skeins.

And I'm happy.

No comments: