Friday, July 6, 2007

Off day

Well, I'm proud of myself. I turned what started out as a bad day into a good one.

Today, we didn't go to work. Hence, it's our off day. We had plans to go to Ikea; we'd grab some breakfast, Ron sits at a table near the bathroom (I showed him the way to the men's room if he has to go while I'm gone), then I shop. My old "computer chair" was a wooden folding chair in a fake walnut veneer. It's cute, and a great chair, but when I'd sit at my desk here (aside: desk was $30 at Ikea and I love it - had it for over a year), my neck and right shoulder would get incredibly stiff. I figured out the chair was too high (and couldn't be adjusted) and resolved to get a new one.

The last time I went to Ikea, I had seen a cute adjustable height chair with a plastic seat (the "Snille" for Ikea buffs). It's about $25 and I liked it anyway, it would be perfect as a computer chair now. I couldn't figure out a pressing need for it at the time, but now I knew.

When our ride to Ikea was over an hour late, Ron was not happy. I resolved to remain mellow and cheerful, and did a great job. I read a good book in the plastic lawn chair out front, drank a couple of cans of Diet RC, and petted the cats everytime they came by.

I love Ron for many many reasons. But the fact that he brought our driver a cold can of Dr Pepper, even though she was over an hour late, is one of them. She was happy to get it and thanked us repeatedly. There's a line in the Bible where Jesus says "Anything you did to the least of these, you did to Me." So we were giving Jesus a can of soda.

We had to drop off another client and then we were far away from Ikea. It looked grim. Breakfast? Forget it, over at 11. We got there at 11:15. But - they hadn't thrown the breakfast out, so I had a lovely meal of scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, and chocolate cheesecake. Ron had his breakfast with the "Lingonberry drink" he enjoys.

I had enough time to do my shopping and browse a little. I got a teal "Snille" and some other things (small sized). We were outside at our pickup time and best of all, we had the same driver who dropped us off (she waited, always a luxury).

It opened up on the way home; it's still raining. We have super-cells from hell. We had planned to eat later but we agreed to cancel the IHOP trip. Ron's sleeping, I'm relaxing and typing away in my new chair with no pain.

We turned an off day into a good one! I'm proud of us.

No comments: