Thursday, July 17, 2014

The person I needed

A cab driver was badly hurt this week, and lost one or both of his legs. 

I empathized, and sent a care package with some comforting items to him, care of the cab company. 

I don't think it's a big deal.  I always vowed I would be the person I needed when my life went to hell, the shoulder to cry on, the comforting hug, etc. 

When I know someone's hurting, I'll do what I can to help.  Especially if the Holy Spirit is working. 

Now, I knew it might be a little baffling to the cab company, so I put my phone number on the return address label, in case they had a question.  However, I had gotten someone to agree to pass it along. 

I wasn't surprised when my phone rang this evening.  I was surprised to hear the Operations Manager of the company on the line. 

More to to find out that he and "the entire staff down here" were "very touched to get your package today".  He mentioned he thought he found me on Facebook.  I mentioned the Free Bibles sign and he said "I figured that was you." 

He said a lot of nice things, which I won't repeat, because I'm just doing my job.  Sharing God's comfort in a dark and ugly world. 

"You're the only person I know who would do this" he said "Besides my sister". 

I paraphrased this:
2 Corinthians 1:3-5
New King James Version (NKJV)

Comfort in Suffering

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ.

After thanking me again, we hung up. 

I really don't think I did anything remarkable.  But God is using it for amazing good already.  Well, then, He gets the credit. 

1 comment:

Melanie said...

That is great Heather. I know you do these things for the glory of God and not personal aggrandisement, but it does give our humanity some encouragement, which I believe God understands, to have it acknowledged at least by the recipient. It's not like you think these things are works toward salvation, just bearing the fruit of it.