Thursday, September 25, 2014

I know how evil we can get

I'm going to talk a little about black-on-white racism.  It exists. 

Nearly everyone I know, of color, is an awesome person.  I like being around them.  They are fun, professional, interesting, and look out for my husband as much as I do. 

I married a black man.  We've been married 22 years.  

A lot of my drivers listen to 102.1 "Magic".  In the morning, they have a talk show.  During the talk show they disparage anything to do with whites or white culture.  They promote racial division and glorify ignorance.  It's awful. 

The main "black radio" is promoting racial division, the white people hate you and are out to get you, etc.  They talk a lot about white on black crime, but never talk about the fact that over 80% of young black men are killed by other young black men.  They never talk about the black on white crime, either.

So, those seeking to stay in touch with "black culture" are fed a very distorted worldview wherein they are perpetual victims of the white man. 

This is also fed by the mainstream media and the attorney general: white on black is unacceptable, but who cares about black on black, or black on white, or latino on greek, etc. 

Anyway, Ron and I went to Walmart.  I had a very limited amount of time.  I was pretty queasy from my antidepressant but I am feeling better. 

I grabbed a cart.  I placed my reusable shopping bag into my cart.  It is a very large, red, bag.  I went to the bank.  I made my deposit. 

I turned around, grabbed my cart, and left.  I noted a woman who seemed pretty "off".  Her body language and attitude with the teller said, to me, she had some mental health issues. 

She reminded me of the driver the other day, seemingly "fine" but waiting to erupt in an angry tantrum.  She didn't come off as angry, in any way, though. 

I just had a feeling - like a pressure cooker. 

So, I left.  I was headed for the cooler and a cold bottle of Diet Dr Pepper when the woman ran after me, shouting "Excuse me".  I stopped.  Perhaps I'd dropped, or forgotten something. 

"You have my cart" she told me. 

No, I didn't.  I had my cart, the one I got at the door, with my bag in it.  Someone else took her cart and she automatically assumed it was me.  The white woman, stealing the poor black woman's cart. 

Assuming she even had one. 

I thought about it.  I really didn't have time to walk all the way back to the door and select another cart.  I had to finish my shopping, I needed some stuff for the bathroom and I really wanted some Pepto. 

I really hate bullies, but it was apparent to me she really believed this was hers.  

Everything inside me told me to hand it over.  "Just listen to your gut" a therapist told me during our last session "And you'll be fine." 

I apologized nicely, took my bag, and walked away.  She grabbed the cart and ran off. 

Now, mainly I did this because my gut told me arguing would be a bad idea.  I also had limited time.  Arguing takes time. 

I also felt a bottled up tension in her waiting to erupt.  I don't want to be the target of someone's crazy.  I know how evil we can get. 

Also, my faith.  Jesus says in Matthew Chapter 5: 42 Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; [NKJV]

 For me, the sealer, my actions pleased God.  

I did have to go out of my way to get the cart, but, like I told Ron "Maybe that's the one with the flu germs".  

You never know.  

No comments: