Friday, August 8, 2014

Tidwell Handout

It was a good handout with a wierd aftermath. 

I woke up at 6.  Ron said he didn't want to go on the planned handout, he cancelled the rides.  I decided that was fine for him, but I was still doing a Handout. 

I decided to pray, sleep, and think on it and went back to sleep.  I woke up around 9 with my destination clearly in mind.  Tidwell @ Antoine. 

I've never done a handout over there, but it has a convergence of different neighborhoods.  A nicer senior area.  Garden Oaks, a plusher "white" upper middle class area with $300K homes.  Raw areas of Acres Homes, with $300 a month apartments. It's a huge catchall. 

It also has an EXCELLENT median and a gas station where I can use the bathroom (with purchase).  I hated that about DeSoto.  I understand, but I hated it. 

We took the bus.  Ron took forever getting ready and I reminded myself God would bring the recipients.  I couldn't be "late" because He had it all.  I just had to show up with the sign and the Bibles. 

I loaded the Bibles (about 50) into my crate and attached the folding umbrella.  Ron said that worked very well for him. 

I had my tote bag as well. 

We got there and I headed over to the median.  I faced a bus stop.  The 45 runs down Tidwell.  The 85 runs up and down Antoine; so you have a lot of people waiting at the bus stops. 

The second I unrolled the sign I had bus stop people signalling me to come over.  I did that. 

"I have Kid Bibles!"  I passed out one Spanish, 5-6 kid Bibles, and several "Grown up Bibles" in just the first few minutes alone. 

Wow.  They had a huge appetite, all my recipients.  I had to keep loading and reloading my tote bag.  It was insane - I felt like the handler for a rock star and everyone wanted a date! 

It was wonderfully exhausting.  Nearly everyone was clearly low-income. 

My favorites: 

A black guy held money out, said he didn't want a Bible.  I gave him my "winsome" look and said "I don't want your money!  You know what would make me happy?"  I wiggled the Bible at him and turned up the charm. "If you took one!"  I made a sad face.  "Don't turn me down!"  Grinned again.  He took it.  "How much did you pay for this?"  I kept telling him "Friends bought it" and he finally realized I really didn't want the money. 

I had another black guy.  He watched me for a minute or so and rolled down his window, smiling.  I walked over and offered him a Bible.  "Oh, I'm an agnostic" he said. 

"Well" I replied.  "You might get curious.  Wouldn't you like to have one on hand?  Annnd... it has a question and answer section in the back."  He took it, the light changed, and off he went. 

Spanish people loved I had Spanish.  I found it interesting how some Moms wanted a combination of English and Spanish Bibles. 

One black family, two single women and some kids in the back.  They got their Bibles as the kids looked on.  3 kids.  I had 3 kid Bibles left.  I handed them over to the delighted children. 

Let me tell you, kids were THRILLED to get those kiddie Bibles (an easy to read New Testament with pictures). 

A young couple got off the bus and crossed the median.  "Hold up" I yelled.  "Let me hook you up with some Bibles!"  They waited, smiling as I handed them each a Bible, then headed off. 

When possible, I let everyone know I was praying daily. 

I saw a white van with two well dressed white guys.  The older one pointed at me and said something to his companion, grinning.  As I got up on them I saw they were Mormons (probably working Garden Oaks).  They grinned at me and the elder gave me a thumb's up. 

I knocked on the window.  When they rolled it down I quoted Matthew 22:9 at them "Go to the street corners and invite everyone you find."  They liked that and headed off with the light change. 

All done.  I yelled at Ron to roll it up (his sign).  He gaped at me.  I ran up to him, panting.  "I'm out!  Put it down!" 

"What?  It's only been 25 minutes!" 

"God brings them and boy did He.  Gimme that."  I took the sign and put it away.  I got Ron into a safe place and used the bathroom. 

We rode the bus, planning to eat at our favorite taqueria afterward.  When we got there, the health department had closed it down. 

Yike. 

I had to go to the bathroom again.  That's the only problem with proper hydration in a Houston summer.  I have to pee!  Constantly! 

I saw a Kebab place in the strip mall.   I went in. They were very rude and overpriced.  I wasn't too wild about the obvious imam eating the lunch special either.  I backed Ron out of there and we left. 

I went to the bathroom (half the story of a Bible handout would be all the places I go to the bathroom) at the grocery store.  Then we went to Little Cesars. 

Ron called a cab.  The guy was a Muslim.  He wasn't too happy about the pepperoni pizza OR what was left of the Bibles, riding in his cab.  They had to go in the trunk.  His cab, his rules. 

Finally home, typing out my update! 

Pray for the recipients! 

No comments: