Sunday, August 17, 2014

If I'd known my day I might have stayed home!

I didn't sleep very well, but I still got up in time to do my God Time, and shower. 

We got ready for church.  Our ride, however, was nearly an hour late. 

I noticed something important as I climbed aboard: the radio was on the "Protection" channel.  Remember the song about the "cleanup woman"?  That's Protection.  They clean up trips that other drivers couldn't handle. 

She wasn't our original driver.  She did nothing "wrong". 

I noticed a very sour-faced woman sitting in a wheelchair.  I greeted her politely and sat in my seat.  I laughed with the driver about the lack of a seatbelt extender and grinned as she used a "red belt" to secure me instead. 

The other client was having a tantrum, wanting to go to her church.  A little geography. 

If Houston is a clock, Ron and I live at about 11:30.  Our church is located at about 8.  The other client was going to "6", and insistent, as she talked to dispatch, that she was "on the way" to our drop off. 

That's the second time I've heard a client lie like that.  She made several phone calls, including to the head of the program.  If she doesn't have one already, she earned a reputation. 

Ron and I, in the meantime, discussed how calling an hour in advance of our ride, instead of 30 minutes, might have prevented the drama.  "It's so important" I told Ron, but really speaking to the other client "Not to take our frustrations out on the driver.  She's just doing her job.  She has to go by what's in her box" (computer) "Metrolift has thousands of rides and hundreds of drivers, every day.  Thousands of miles in service area.  I'm amazed they work as well as they do."  The other client snorted.  "And, as Christians, it's so important not to shame Jesus with our behavior.  Jesus doesn't want us getting ugly at the driver on our way to church.  That shames Him."

Of course Ron didn't need to hear it.  But the other client did shut up. 

We got to church late.  One of the elders had been interested in the Scripture booklets (www.wmpress.org) so I brought him a baggie of assorted.  He was thrilled to get it. 

Unfortunately, the usher sat us in front of the pentecostal lady.  She is new.  She was dressed up like prom night and very vocal.  She kept mumbling loud prayers during silent moments, adlibbing during pauses in the songs, yelling over the pastor, etc.  It was exhausting for us. 

"I just wanted" Ron confided after the service "To tell her to shut up."  I don't understand - she didn't seem to notice - no one else was carrying on like that.  She wasn't worshipping, she was performing. 

I do know the ushers will have a word with her if needed. 

You may wonder "Why is this a problem?"  Other than the obvious, it's very distracting and takes the focus off God - the Bible itself says "40 Let all things be done decently and in order." 1 Corinthians 14:40

In the meantime, Ron needs to get us there early (he did something different this week) so I can pick our seat.  If I can pick it after 'most everyone sat down, I can hopefully avoid that again.

After church, an elder gave me a case of Invitation New Testaments for handout.  I told him "Let's see how fast I can hand them out!" 

"You've got 100 there" he told me. 

I know.  It's not my first case of Invitations, by a long shot!  God has done over 100 just in one handout (I just go, it's not "me" doing anything, but God). 

They told us, during the service, that the landlord is giving us the boot.  So the church has to find a new home. 

I'm selfish, I'm praying it's in the Metrolift area and a little closer to home.  But at the end of it I have to ask God for His will, not mine. 

We went to Burger King.  I ordered our food while Ron used the bathroom.  I handed out some candy. 

Our ride came, one of my favorite drivers.  He's really nice, bright, talented driver, overall awesome. 

We had a good ride home.  Since I have to get up very early tomorrow, I decided to take a nap.  I got a good 2 hours at least. 

Then I had a horrific nightmare about growths in my breast.  When I "popped" them horrible dead "alien" creatures came out. 

After that I had to get up! 

No comments: