Saturday, August 16, 2014

Neon green and black

Ugh.  Horribly depressed. 

It's not work, even though I worked long shifts (11-13 hours) with a lot of heavy manual labor.  My only issue with work is finding a decent snack. 

I sell 4 different protein bars (off the top of my head), but they all have chocolate or nuts, both migraine triggers.  I am 90% certain I have a pretty nasty almond allergy. I had severe throat tightening the last 2 times I ate them.  Scared me pretty bad. 

Most granola bars have some kind of almond.  Now, I have to do a shout out to the allergy people, just like Ron lauds "wheelchair people".  Ron used to think the "wheelchair people" were real pains in the butt, demanding access.  He thanks God for them now as he rolls around in his wheelchair. 

I never had anything mean to think about the allergy people, just that those with peanut allergies had better stay far from the vending machines.  Anyway, the allergy advocates ensured all food is properly labeled.  "CONTAINS ALMONDS"  Put it back! 

I got tired of my pants falling off, this week I tried on a smaller size, and sure enough I am.  Good.  Let's hear it for the heavy, mandatory, physical labor.  I actually like physical stuff. 

You know what I hate?  Office politics. 

Yesterday at work I caught a manager "inspecting" my vending machines.  At first I thought he was just looking for a snack.  But as he viewed the contents of every vending machine and bought a cup of coffee he didn't drink, I realized he was doing an inspection. 

I was a little pissed for a while.  There's a woman at work -  I'm certain she has borderline personality disorder.  She's always having hysterics.  The other vendors don't work anywhere near her shift, so we get the brunt.

At first she was angry the coffee machine wasn't working.  OK, I get that. 

The new thing - sandwiches in the cold food vending machines.  She's having fits because we might run out of sandwiches sometime.  The other day she was very agitated because we "only" had 7 (before I stocked).  We only sell, on average, 6 a day, if that. 

A few days ago a manager complimented me on our product selection. She heard him, came over, and started going off about the sandwiches again.  We all got to hear the same tired story - how the other vendor ran out one day, years ago, and she had to walk "all the way to Austin mail" to find one.  The whole time I've got 15 sandwiches sitting in the vending machine! 

My guess is she filed a formal complaint - even though I always have sandwiches, other cold food (burritos, hot pockets, etc), snacks, and soda, in the vending machines.  I think the guy was their answer.  Even though one food machine could have used some work (it still had plenty of *food* though), the other machine was totally stuffed. I could have maybe stocked a few bottles of water but that's it. 

I also told him "If you don't see it I'm probably about to stock it." 

I feel sorry for the managers.  It's bad enough they have to work a high pressured job, but they also have to manage an assortment of voilatile personality disorders - and a lot of them tend to congregate at work. 

Now that doesn't help the depression.  It makes me feel like no matter what I do it's never good enough - but that's depression talking. 

Ron also tells me, and I agree, I need to stop seeking approval from other people.  I agree. 

I fixed our "down freezer" problem this week.  Yay.  Now we can get more frozen food.  What's the point of having frozen food if I had to throw it out once a week? 

I might also bring back the yogurt.  It did have a fan club.  But I'd have to take out the pickles and I know people like them.  Ron's got that fridge pretty crowded, too. 

Anyway, yesterday: we went to the warehouse.  I shopped.  I loaded up a flatbed full of merchandise.  Offhand I got about 20 cases of bottled soda, and 10 or so cases of snack items.  I also bought some candy. 

Living in Houston, I carry an insulated tote bag when I buy candy.  I also buy a box of frozen rib sandwiches.  One of my customers calls them "McRibs".  I put the box of frozen sandwiches in the insulated bag (I'd better!), and toss in the candy bars.  The candy doesn't melt and the sandwiches stay frozen. 

I have eaten melted and rehardened candy.  It was awful.  I'm not selling that. 

I paid for it and waited outside for our friend.  He has the truck.  A Ford F-150.  No "lid" on the truck bed, thank God. 

He arrived.  The cart guys know I'm appreciative.  Maybe I tip them but that would get them in trouble so I'm not saying that.  But I do know how to say please and thank you. 

One of the cart guys loaded the truck for me. 

We went to work.  I got my metal hand carts.  They look like this: 
 
 
 
 
One of them has stripped wheels, but it still rolls.  Our State guy brought me another one.  They just fit in my corner of the stockroom. 
 
I brought them out and got them loaded.  They looked good.  I shoved them up the ramp (push, don't pull!) and got them over to our area.  Whoo, that was a good butt workout. 
 
Calves and thighs, too. 
 
I had another small handcart I unfolded.  The guys loaded the snacks and did a decent job.  They didn't mash my pastry. 
 
I got everything into the building and stocked.  Ron needed some help.  I had to get everything snack into the snack machines.  The snack machines can take literally thousands of items. 
 
I stocked everything possible and got my leftovers shoved into my corner.  As we prepared to leave, I also brought in the 2 handcarts, still loaded with sodas. 
 
I was really glad I brought my folding chair.  I was pretty exhausted.  I don't mind most of my job.  I think right there I have an advantage.  I also got paid.  Ron gave me a modest raise. 
 
Today, woke up depressed, went to Walmart.  I got another bra (Fruit of the Loom Ultra are awesome!), some socks (on sale), glucosamine for Ron, and I finally found some protein bars. 
 
No coconut, almond, or peanuts.  No chocolate.  I got some Luna Lemon Zest - I know I can eat those, I have, off and on, for over a decade.  I also got some Clif Oatmeal Rasin Walnut (I can do walnuts). 
 
Good.  Now I have an option when I'm hungry at work and I could use some protein (like just having done insane manual labor). 
 
Oh, and a guy at work complimented me on my back brace yesterday.  It's neon green and black.  

No comments: