Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sunday Night Readers

Pretty tired tonight, but I know I get a lot of Sunday night readers.  Happily, yesterday I was fairly manic; we went to the store, went to work, stocked it all, fixed a down vending machine, etc.  Came home, I took a nap. 

Then I raked the front yard (maybe 400 square feet).  I poisoned the fire ant mound - pillow sized, in Ron's path to the mailbox - that would have been DREADFUL!  I am completely organic, except for fire ants. 

Speaking of organic, I put the leaves in the compost pile after some internal debate.  The ash tree is a "common" ash, with seed pods.  If I put the leaves in my compost I get baby ash trees coming up for months.  My pile doesn't get hot enough to destroy them, and that's OK.  They are easy enough to remove and often draw my attention to other problems. 

I am not always very observant.  While placing the leaves (I got a nice layer), I noticed some old bean pods are sprouting.  I have pole beans coming up in the compost.  That's fine too.  I am pretty relaxed.  At least I know the pile gets enough sun to support my squash idea.  I would like to plant some moschata squash in the pile, next spring. 

I do need to bring home some coffee grounds, so I can get some nitrogen.  I have a lot of carbon-rich "brown" items. 

Finished all that.  Checked my plants, they needed some water.  I watered them all with my hand-held watering can.  It's more work but I get a closer interaction with the plants.  I also ensure the plant is getting every drop.  A lot of times, with the hose, the water comes out too fast and runs off into the grass or pathway. 

I found it very relaxing.  The purple, frilly kale (I have 2 different purple kales) caught my leg as I walked by.  After I finished my plant tending, I went into the house and did all the dishes. 

I love a nice mild mania.  I get ALL the chores! 

I got a pot with a tight fitting lid, and a knife.  I went out in the garden, and cut some kale.  I also got some collards and chard.  The only chard to survive was pink,  and yellow.  As I munched a pink stalk, I tried to decide if I liked it.  I decided I certainly didn't hate it.  I chopped the greens, de-stemmed them (more on the stems in a sec), and put them into about a cup of boiling water.  My pot was stuffed.  I just added a little salt and turned it on low for about 25 minutes. 

I then turned my attention to the stems.  I chopped them, and threw them in my stockpot, along with the veggie-stuff from the freezer.  I like canned green beans, from the store (they are so cheap commercially it doesn't make sense for me to can).  When I eat any store-canned bean or veggie, , I pour off the water into a ziplock.  When cutting veggies, I put those hard ends and stems, too.  It's all nice and clean.  Carrot tops, etc. 

I took that out, it was full, and dumped it in the stockpot with a quart of tap water, and set that to simmer.  Boom.  Veggie stock.  When it was done, I strained it and canned it.  Boom.  I have a quart and a half of beautiful stock.  They sealed great, and I only had to process for 30 minutes. 

Since I was manic, I got out the lentils (my favorite bean) and made some chili lentils.  I found some chili powder, with a good date.  I put a cup of lentils, a half teaspoon of chili powder, and about 3 cups water in a small pot without a a lid.  When they finished, I added some grated cheese. 

As I told Ron "They are FAR better than I expected!"  Once I cleaned up, I went to bed. 

I didn't sleep very well, neither did Ron. 

We woke up early and went to Walmart.  I got some soda, powdered drink mix, and vitamins.  I was happy to see the folic acid.  I couldn't find the Black Cohosh for some reason.  Agh.  They didn't have lentils, either.  How can a grocery store not have lentils?  I felt very "thick" mentally and had a terrible time finding ANYTHING. 

I was really happy I got some cold and flu remedies.  My first winter as a cashier, I got the flu and mono, because sick people come in, buy their nyquil and hack all over the poor cashier.  I think that is VERY rude.  I prefer to buy the stuff I would need, when I'm healthy.  That way, when I'm sick I can literally reach under the bed.  I also put the sore throat spray where Ron can find it if he wakes up with a sore throat. 

Recently, when manic, I cleaned up my "cold kit" and got rid of all the bad codes, leaving me with a nice collection of sugar-free cough drops!  I replaced a lot of it at the dollar store, and the rest today at Walmart. 

Ideally, I will buy some 1000 mg vitamin C.  Ron always wants that.  Maybe my next Swanson order. 

Our ride came, and took us to the taqueria we like.  Ron wanted to try a dish I know is good.  I went with a bacon and egg taco, and a quesadilla.  Ron got his dish and loved it. 

I told him "I thought it was really cute, you started out so civilized with the fork, but finished eating with your left hand!"  I do find it endearing.  I was so happy to see him enjoy his food.  I ALWAYS position Ron so he is not visible to other diners. 

Our ride was about half an hour late, but we are quiet and good tippers.  They don't mind.  The last time we had breakfast, a middle aged guy brought in his mother, in a wheelchair.  They sat next to us and ate.  Same happened today!  It was the disabled corner! 

We went home, and I was beat.  Looks like today was going to be a low energy depression day.  So, I took a long nap.  When I woke up I saw, literally, 10 doves in the yard.  Ringneck Mourning Doves are huge birds, and least mine are. 

I am, generous. 

Here is an online image: 
Make it a little fatter, and give it 10 friends, and you've got my backyard.    source

But wait!  Look, it's the House Sparrows!  They live in my red-tip bushes.  I had a dozen or so of them cheeping and pecking away. 

The cat was having a great time, watching them.  I also have some cardinals, a blue jay, and the occasional purple finch.   Good times. 

I went out and fed them, then checked on the plants.  Bubba got out and scared  the birds.  They're not stupid.  

Ron and I have talked about getting a microphone outside, so he can hear the birds.  I think it's a great idea. 

When I came in, I cleaned up the front room a little bit, took out some trash, and decided to relax a little. 

That's my weekend. 

No comments: