Saturday, December 10, 2011

Houston Squash

Still battling depression. 

I have to pick how to spend my energy.  Ron loves it when I cook him things; so I did that.  He was a good sport about doing the dishes.  I made him some tuna salad with hardboiled eggs, and some pinto beans.  I canned most of the pintos (and sausage). 

Today, I made some 15-bean soup, with a sprinkle of bacon.  I also put in some fava beans, and some dried pole bean seed from my garden (I picked it off the vines).  I added a lot of salt and garlic, two of my favorites.  It's extremely doubtful Ron would eat any of it, he loves his pintos. 

The weather will be nice and mild, so I put my plants outside.  Well, all of them except the pointsettia.  I watered the container plants with some saved water (from the showers we had). 

"Don't just work" Ron told me "Have some fun".  So, once I finish the dishes, and set the canning jars to cool, I plan to take a nap. 

When I was manic, I got some garden edging and marked some tentative garden beds.  I am happy to report they all get lots of sun, so will be productive.  I'll do the actual construction and soil amendment during my next mania.  I'm playing with the idea of growing some moschata squash this year; they are resistant to the bugs that gobble all Houston squash. 

I was a little manic for squash, but I didn't buy any.  It can wait.  We could still have frost for another 2 months, so I have to anyway.  Do I ever buy it?  No.  But if I grow it I will eat a modest amount. 

We had a bad freeze this week, but nothing died except the Amaranth.  I was getting a little scared of the amaranth.  I had it in a very large pot.  Completely neglected it, and it kept growing.  Now I can till the dead plants under, and plant something in the legume family to help build the soil.  My lima bean (I think it is a King of the Garden pole lima) was pretty frostbit, but has plenty of healthy leaves.  I'll let it keep going, then.  I'm not inclined to rip out a healthy thing I planted.  It certainly adds a bright spot of greenery. 

Anyway, that's it for now. 

No comments: