Thursday, May 28, 2009

My dilemma




I have two problems, actually, both involving a certain plump black cat.


First, Daddy has a problem with the cat treats. I swear, I have not seen that cat eat cat food in months! He's always begging for treats, treats treats! Ron says he doesn't feed him "many" but how many is many?


I have told both Ron and the cat that I'm not ready to lose another cat. He's got to start eating his dry food.


Which leads me to issue number 2. Bubba likes to hunt. See above rat photo. He likes to bring his prey in through the cat door and chase it around the house!
I've come home, to live mockingbirds on the bookcase! How un-Texan! Hunting the State Bird! Shame on you, Bubba!
When we leave town next week, it seems obvious that we'll have to close the pet door. We can't let Bubba bring God-knows-what into the house for 4 days. I shudder to think...
Yuck. Enough said.
However, Bubba's first "family" moved and left him to starve. They locked up the house and left, taking their bird feeder. The landlord asked what they'd planned for the cats, and they said they didn't care. I took Bubba, as a black cat he was not popular and they'd have killed him. Plus, I love black cats, and Bubba thought I was pretty cool after that first can of "Chum Bucket".
I worry he'll think we've abandoned him, too. I could take him to the vet for boarding, but he'd hate it.
I'll be closing the cat door, probably the garage cat door. Bubba will be locked in the house, with access to the locked garage. He can use the box in the garage. He won't "go" in the house, not even after a hurricane.
If Bubba somehow escapes, I'll open the garage cat door and block access to the house (I hate this option). I will move the food and water to the garage, and he'll just have to make do with outside and garage until we get home.
Poor Bubba. I wish we could bring him along!






No comments: