Friday, October 12, 2007

Goldenrod

I've always loved Goldenrod. It's so pretty. It was one of the plants I really missed when I lived in California. Every fall, when I'd be manic, the Goldenrod would bloom. I have some happy memories of walking through the woods, or playing in the yard at school and seeing the goldenrod.

I love the color, too. Back in 2003 I picked a lot and tried to use it to dye some wool. I didn't understand the concept of mordanting (pre-treating the wool so it will absorb the dye), so it didn't work.

This year it bloomed late, just about a week ago. I've been seeing it everywhere we go. I told Ron, if he could see one of the best presents he could give me is a trunk full of goldenrod he'd picked. That would be so awesome.

But he's blind. Sometimes he has a hard time just staying upright after the stroke. I'll give him a pass.

This year I've wavered. The covetous part wants to go pick pillowcases full of the stuff and use it to dye ....

That's when the logical part of my brain kicks in and says "Dye what? I don't have enough light-colored yarn spun to dye. I don't want to hassle with dyeing roving, and I don't want to keep the dried goldenrod in the house to cause clutter. Let the goldenrod do it's thing and set seeds for next year."

Fustic looks to be a pretty good one, too. I can get that anytime I'm ready for it. But next year, the Goldenrod had better look out for me!

No comments: