Thursday, September 25, 2014

"We're going to die here"

We bought the house because it was "so quiet".  However, here's your moral: Don't buy a home near undeveloped land. 

An update on the rumbling bassy noises:

"They" have been developing a plot of land to the south of us.

I truly hate it when someone gives a written description so I'll keep it short.  We have about 100 acres directly to the south of us, running parallel to the subdivision - which is a long rectangle.

So, 2 long rectangles, one on either side of a bayou (stream).  I live a few hundred yards from the south edge, about halfway down. 

The area near us was clear.  However, as they developed the land to the east and west, I began to hear more noises at night.  Basically a low intermittent rumble, disliked by the psychotic depression.

Now, however, they have built some kind of heavy industrial manufacturing facility directly to the south of my home, about 1/4 mile away, if that.  I hear rumbling during the day, AND at night.

I know, however, it is the manufacturing.  Not knowing, to me, was the worst part.  I really don't like to think of myself "losing it" to the point of hallucinations.   At least I have that.

[Edit] I did some research.  One of them in a heavy duty hydraulic crane company - these things are shipped all over the world.  That's the one closest.

Cranes are good.  Cranes are needed.  They have to build them somewhere.  They used plenty of cranes at work during construction! 

The other facility does steel rolling, cutting, and stamping.  I don't know what they do to steel but they do a lot of it.  The world needs steel.

The crane company needs a lot of steel.  I'm sure they do a lot of business and that's got to be the shortest shipping time ever.  I'm sure they spend more time loading the steel than they do driving it next door!   Clever! 

I'm trying to like these companies, to adopt them as family members.  I think I'll put a page in my prayer journal.    [end edit]

I'm sure I'll get used to it.  I lived right next to Bush Airport for 3 years.  We lived though lots of very loud airplanes taking off and landing, just a few hundred yards in the air.  I got used to that.

The guy who owned the land used to have cows and we would smell horrific manure stench in the summer when the wind came out of the south.  Ugh.  

We used to live on the train track.  I used to hear the trains all hours of the day and night.  I used to hear them idling, coupling, and uncoupling right outside my bedroom, and adapted to the point I slept right through it.  I had the upstairs neighbor with the Gregorian chants and the loud gay sex.  I made it through that.

I have slept in my bed, #6's compressor chugging away on the other side of the wall, and slept great.  I'll get through this.

So, moral: don't buy a home near undeveloped land unless it's a park.

I also told Ron, since we are impacted by these business I will file a protest on our property tax next year, stating that living so close to industrial manufacture impairs our home's resale value.  I'm certain it would.

But, like Ron said, "We're going to die here". 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a back up plan, Ron's health has declined tremendously in the past few years it is sadly obvious. Please keep your mind and body healthy, be strong and know that you need a back up plan my dear. it may be "in God's hands" but you are the one who has to do the foot work