Sunday, February 28, 2010

I'm so very picky

Ron and I had a good day today. First, he asked me what I wanted to do; we always have this discussion the day before our trips.

It can be a little aggravating, trying to explain, we don't have spur-of-the-moment trips. It has to be planned, choreographed, and called in before 5 PM, the day prior to travel. We have to plan our pickup, how long we'll be at the location, and when we'll get picked up to go home. Then, of course, Metrolift can totally blow those plans out of the water with a late pickup. [shrug] Like I told the man yesterday, depending on public transit keeps me humble. It's impossible to be arrogant, waiting and waiting on a ride!

So, we decided to go to Foodtown first thing. You may wonder, why a "religious" lady like myself isn't in a church, and I'll get to that. We had a late-ish pickup that only gave me 20 minutes to shop AND checkout. A lot of people at Foodtown!

I got everything I needed, which wasn't much, only forgetting the artificial sweetener. I got plenty of diet pop to get me through the week, more tuna and mayo, and some canned salmon. I also got more cheese.

By the time I checked out, our ride had arrived. Instead of repackaging, I had to stuff everything as-is into the back of the van. Fortunately, we had a straight trip (the Holy Grail of a Metrolift experience).

We got home and I put the groceries away. Ron has already eaten the entire pound of fruit salad I purchased. We won't tell him how healthy it is. I don't even use the word salad. [laugh]

When we had planned our trips yesterday, I had mentioned a few places we could go, and told him to surprise me. He likes to do that now and then.

So, after we got home and I put things up, he told me "We're going to Taco Bell". It is entirely possible to have a low-carb eating experience at Taco Bell, I get the grilled chicken soft taco supreme (chicken, sour cream, lettuce, tomato). We got something for the driver, too.

On the way home, the driver and I discussed the fact that many church-goers don't have a good witness for Jesus. "Sunday is the worst day of the week; they are always angry." Some will shout at the driver because he's running late. Maybe Jesus would rather we set a good example of kindness and compassion? Maybe Jesus wants us to act like we have Him in our hearts?

We went to a nearby church and sure enough, the people were not kind and welcoming. The attendee had no joy; I can relate to that but you don't need to be negative.

See, I'm picky! I want a church where I can 1. Get to it on the bus, so I don't have to drag Ron if he doesn't want to go. 2. Feel at home. 3. Share the love of Jesus. 4. Get support for the tasks He has called me to do (mainly encouragement). I am asking God to give me that.

In the meantime, I guess you'll find me at Foodtown.

No comments: