Wednesday, February 24, 2010

An empty bag is the goal

When I do up the Bibles and tract-candy (both in a baggie, which I hand out to everyone), I always pray over it. I ask God how many English and Spanish I need. I ask him how many Bibles. I ask Him which bookmarks and postcards get stuck into the Bibles. I like to think of the Holy Spirit and I, hanging out on my couch, or sitting at the table together, He's suggesting "Put that tract, Heather" or "Mark that passage, Heather." I picture him with a highlighter in his mouth, or a handful of candy (depending on the task). It makes me smile and I know it's true.

Last night, I heard SIX Spanish Bibles, six Spanish candy, 12 English candy (I have tracts in various languages), and 9 English New Testaments. It made for a pretty heavy bag!

Of course, since I really prayed on it, sought God's will, and handed candy and Bibles out AS DIRECTED by the Holy Spirit (you can see why I moved my blog - too much Jesus!) - I had a very productive day IN SPITE OF the horrible headache. I also came home with my favorite - an absolutely empty bag and the memory of many delighted smiles.

So, I woke up early. Hit the prayer time and devotionals. I like to read a devotional passage, pray for one target group, hit another devotional, pray for another group, you saw my lists. Anyway, I like this system the best. I feel like I am alternating between ASKING and HEARING. Nasty headache, but the asprin took off some of the edge.

I finished that up in a nice, timely manner. I felt like I really had my armor on for the day.

My first Metro driver gave me one of my favorite responses when I asked if I'd given him a Bible yet. "Yes, you have". Cool. He got the first bag of candy. Ron and I had a lovely time at Starbucks, and he went home. The take-home driver for Ron got a New Testament and bag #2.

After he left, I cranked up my tunes. I walked over to my favorite gas station to the tune of "Get 'em Saved!" I was definitely well-pumped up to do WHATEVER God had on the agenda. The gas station attendants grinned when they saw me. "It's candy time!" I chirped as I handed out 2 more bags. I felt a very strong pull towards the guy in a suit. I bought my bottles of soda and pulled out my candy, put the soda in the bottom of the bag, and the candy and Bibles on top. I offered one to the suit. He pulled back. "Would you like a New Testament?" He shook his head and turned away.

OK. I do face some rejection, but that is nothing. I did send up a quick prayer for his soul. I want everyone for Jesus! I left the store and fiddled with my MP3 player. Suddenly, I heard a voice behind me. "A New Testament?" It was the suit! I took one out and offered it to him again, witha warm smile. "I hand them out, and I'd LOVE to give you this." He took it! [happy dance - but not in real life] THANK YOU GOD. I love to be His hands, and smile.

I danced off down the street. During the course of the day, I battled the headache, handed out most of the candy, and was down to my last New Testament. As I got off the bus, headed for a Christian bookstore, I did question God about the Spanish.

"Lord, I haven't seen one Hispanic person all day! What was the point?" I had the Spanish New Testaments, and the candy, in one produce-style clear plastic bag. I trudged across yet another huge Houston parking lot. Suddenly, a large truck pulls into the parking lot and stops. SIX Hispanic men get out.

OK, Lord, I get it. I walk over to the foreman. "Could you give this to your guys, when they finish, please?" I hand him the clear sack of Bibles and candy. Six of each. "Sure" he replied.

I walked off next-to-empty. I handed out a Gospel of John and candy to the one driver, then the last New Testament and candy to the last driver. She was so excited about the New Testament! She even said it was better than the candy!

I also had the opportunity to share some testimony. In Revelation, it says that the Devil is overpowered by the blood of Jesus, and the testimony of the saints. It is a beautiful and amazing thing to be used by God.

Oh, and the headache? I didn't lose it until I was almost done with the day. My aunt called me as I was ordering a meal at McDonalds, and the cashier misheard "Side Salad" as "Small Fries". They looked so tasty I didn't complain. After eating them, the headache vanished!

Thank you, Lord.

No comments: