Sunday, November 4, 2007

I said NO!

First of all, I love men. I married a man who respects me and values me. If he died, I'd marry again eventually. I don't believe that one sex is out to get the other, either.

We as a society are taught lessons every day in our media. Here's an example. I'm watching a movie.

A group of people are flying on a plane. A man is sitting next to a moderately attractive woman. I'm going to put the "real" dialogue, then I'll put my optional, alternate "transaction". The woman is reading a book. It starts when he leans over her shoulder and asks a question.
M: Is it a good book?
W: Yes. [she pulls the book higher up to shut him out]
M: On vacation?
W: Yes [she turns a page in her book]
M: So, what do you do? I'm a lawyer. [He presses a business card into her hand, which she reluctantly accepts.]
W: I'm a nurse.
M: Wow, that's philantropic. [the stewardess comes by with the beverage cart and asks if he'd like to order.] Yes, I would. Give me a vodka tonic, and one for the lady, please.
W: I don't want a drink.
M: I insist. [The stewardess gives him two drinks. He holds one out to her, which she accepts.]

Now, what has that man learned? First of all, it confirms the "Women don't know what they want, or pursuasion will get you anywhere." He continually violated her boundaries, and she allowed him to. She said no, but she didn't mean it. What does that mean? When she says no to sex, she doesn't mean it either?

Gavin de Becker goes into this very topic in The Gift of Fear. It's an excellent book and I recommend everyone read it.

Now, let's look at an alternate responses:
M: Is it a good book?
Anwer one W: [playfully] I'd like to find out, if you'll let me read it.
She can tell him she's not in the mood to talk, and refuse to answer questions.
When he offers her a business card, she can decline it. "I don't need a lawyer today, thanks." She doesn't have to tell him her profession, or the fact that she's on vacation. He's the one being rude.
When the stewardess comes by, she can ask for another seat.
When she says no to the drink she can refuse it when he offers it to her. "I said no."

What's the worst he can do? Get offended and maybe call her a name. But the worst thing a woman can do, in a situation like that, with a creep, is to "Be polite".

The media continually teaches us that it's wrong for a woman to assert herself and refuse a man's attentions. If she does, she's a bitch. She should give him a chance to persuade her, to persistently get what he wants from her.

But we have a total right to say no, mean it, and end the conversation. It's better to be a "bitch" than a victim.

No comments: