Friday, November 9, 2007

A whinier post than I expected

I've come to realize I love to take a day off and make several blog entries. Rather, on my day off of work, I'll watch Sci-fi movies, snack, and make blog entries. A couple days later, repeat.

For the people out there who envy my part-time schedule, I'll hasten remind you of my migraines, inability to drive due to brain damage, inability to do a lot of "fun" things because I get overstimulated and freak out (also due to brain damage), bipolar disorder (severe with nasty psychotic features), and constant nausea/grogginess/foggy thinking due to the medication I take for the bipolar disorder.

And who can forget the migraines? The can of Progresso Vegetable soup looked so enticing. I love a good veggie soup. I already mentioned the nausea. It's a sad statement on my illness that even with the side effects, my life is truly so much better than it was before. Eeek.

Anyway, I ate it. It was tasty and delicious, and helped with the nausea (small snack-meals several times a day seem to work best). I thought nothing of it, not even later.

The pain began as a boring sensation in my temple. Only one temple, which bodes badly. I have migraine headaches in degrees - some of them are just nasy, persistent headaches. The worst ones are prostrate, "Please God kill me now" gripping agony vomiting miseries. Yeah. Good description.

I went to bed. Monday we had to work, and I hoped/prayed it would vanish overnight. Hey, it happens sometimes. No. The worst part of Monday morning was telling Ron I had the migraine. He got upset, but not at me. The only "new" thing I'd eaten was a can of vegetable soup.

I took some tylenol (I wasn't too queasy yet), got my barf bucket (Ron's term), and went to work. On the way to work we got stuck in some traffic (some car had run into the guy who sells newspapers on the corner, but it didn't look too awful for the newspaper guy). While inching along in traffic I almost threw up.

But you know what I like about me? I still remembered to bring the driver a baggie of candy. I'm still doing the driver candy. In fact, when I put it on my Walmart list I write "Driver candy" I can't eat it (chocolate, food dyes, and nuts give me migraines), but they can and do. They love getting the candy. Sometimes the poor things don't believe it's for them, or they take out one piece and try to give it back. I put maybe 1-2 handfuls of mixed chocolate and hard candies, it's nice but not overwhelming. Anyway, they love it. I keep it in a bag by the door so Ron can take one bag for each trip if he's going somewhere on his own. Today I'm doing some assorted Christmas chocolates (you know the kind with PB chocolates, crispy chocolate, assorments?), little Snickers bars, various hard candies, and a candy cane (Cherry flavor). I made up about 15 bags, I need to get more candy canes next week so I can make more.

Work Monday was not fun. The hellish thing (migraine, not work - I enjoy work) persisted into Tuesday. Thank God it finally died right before I went out on the noisy loading dock. Eeek.

Now I've learned a hard lesson. [Female reproductive organ talk ahead]

I get migraines generally in the week before my period. It's called a menstrual migraine. If I eat a trigger (say peanut M&Ms - with chocolate, nuts, and food dye), I will get a migraine.

Now I can add MSG to the list. I read the label.

AAAAAGH. Totally preventable.

No comments: