Saturday, May 17, 2008

The B vitamin experiment

I know I mentioned this earlier: a few weeks ago, I was running depressed. I bought some supplements. I purchased Acetyl L-Carnintine, some CoQ10, and some B vitamins. I took them and was highly impressed by the quick results.

I faithfully put them (and a few other vitamins) in my days of the week pill divider. It works great for me. I took them for about a week and then I began getting a little manic. Not too bad, just talkative. I could shut up if I noticed or Ron called attention to it.

"Maybe you should lay off on the B vitamins, Heather." OK. Seemed reasonable. The mania went away after a few days (so far all of this is standard for my illness, even with medication). I decided, this past week, to go to one tablet every other day.

I've felt pretty fatigued but again, that's normal. Today I was extraordinarily tired. About an hour ago I took a B vitamin and I went from "Dead Exhausted" to "I'm tired". I'll take it.

When I prepared my vitamins for this week, every day of the week got a B complex. I feel a little odd taking a heavy-duty "B-50" but I need it. That's apparent.

Here's a general idea of my supplements:
These opinions are not designed to diagnose, cure, prevent, or treat any illness. The FDA will get me if I say otherwise.

Generic Brand "Woman's Multi"
Chromium - take this in the morning because it can cause insommnia.
CLA and Borage oil - it's supposed to help with fat loss. I have lost an inch off my waist since I started taking it. Would I have done so without? I don't know. They are bulky and a hassle so I'm indecisive.
Coenzyme Q10, 50 mg. It's really good for your heart, energy level and weight loss.
Acetyl L-Carnitine 400 mg. The capsule I take has 100 mg of ALA. The last two are my big energy buddies.

Noon - I take a GLA with my lithium but I am not impressed. The Dandelion root tea I drink is far better for my particular PMS symptoms (water retention). I doubt I will purchase more.

Evening:
I take a Glucosamine supplement - one tablet. All my joints are happy but running puts a lot of stress on the joints.
2 Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc tablets. They are the first thing I gave my husband after his accident, and the only supplement I sent to my brother after his. They are great.
Vitamin E, 400 mg.
Antioxidant blend - a little more vitamin E in this one. 200 mg, plus other good things
The CLA and GLA.

I've also started taking Valerian root about an hour before bedtime. It helps me fall asleep easier.

No comments: