Monday, May 5, 2008

Second thought: I'm wearing a fat suit

I was taking a shower today after my workout. I had lots of fun during the workout. It involved squats, chest presses, several kinds of deadlifts, barbells, and dumbells. Then I did a cardio workout on the exercise bike. Fun.

I enjoy the workouts for themselves. Secondly, I want to be strong and healthy. Thirdly, I'm doing them to lose fat. I think I've got my priorities right.

I was taking my shower and wondering about my next run. Could I run tomorrow (I'm a little stiff from my earlier workout)? Would it be too hot? Maybe I should just walk, because every workout involves me wearing a fat suit. What a great concept.

I'm wearing a fat suit. It's about 65 pounds over my ideal weight, but nearly 25 pounds lighter than it used to be. It slows me down some but it also provides plenty of additional work in my workouts. I'm not just squatting with a 30 pound barbell, I'm squatting with a barbell and 65 extra pounds of flab. When I run, I'm carrying 65 pounds of cat food on my back. Wow. I'm doing great!

When it comes to my run tomorrow, I'll see. If any joints are sore, it's off. If it's just muscle aches and pains, I'll walk. If I feel fine, I may very well run. I like the flexibility, I used to be fairly rigid about my workouts. I would get very upset if I couldn't get "My" workout.

Take today: pouring rain. Obviously, the (planned) run is off. I had a good weight workout in the garage, and then I did the bike. Great workout. My butt hurts. I want it to trim down and tone up so that's a good thing.

I'm wearing a fat suit, and every day I'm doing more and more to peel it off. I only drank 2 cans of soda today. I drank lots of plain water. I ate smart. I "should" have had a salad but I just wasn't in the mood.

This fat suit is peeling off, slowly but surely. For a long time, I've been afraid to get to goal. It's me. When I get to goal, my body is still me... just without the fat suit.

No comments: