Saturday, August 18, 2007

Onto Happier Subjects

I found the perfect knitting pattern. A couple years ago, I had my beloved charcoal heather-gray hoodie. It was one of those cheap poly-cotton "Sweatshirt" hoodies but I wore that thing every day. I've been looking for something evocative of my beloved hoodie. Zippered front. Hood. Cozy and comfortable. Well, I found it in a most unlikely place.

First of all, I'm going to make a child's vest and donate it to some needy child. A small child's vest will be good practice and I get to do a good deed at the same time. Win-win. Then, I plan to make myself a vest; probably the "Albion" vest pattern from Oat Couture (I already ordered the pattern). Then, the hoodie. Technically, it's the "Lady's hooded Cardigan" from the Bernat Urban Camouflage pattern book. In my humble opinion, most of the items are absolutely hideous in the "recommended" yarns. UGH! But, with a little imagination I can see a nice cozy sweater for me, some convertible fingerless gloves, maybe in an angora or cashmere blend yarn, and a happy Heather. I love the patterns and I imagine this $4 book will be the jumping-off point for hours of constructive labor. The patterns are well-written and my cardigan pattern is rated "Easy".

I ordered a nice gray twist yarn from Knitpicks to make "my" vest, the child's vest will probably come out of my turquoise wool-ease. I have between 400-500 yards and I think that will be plenty. If not, I'll throw in a few stripes or a contrasting edging.

I'm also spinning some brown Corridale and some black/brown Romney-Perendale wool. Then I'm going to ply them together. I pulled off about 24 grams of each, spin, stick on a "Plying Rod" ala Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. Then ply them together for a nice, subtle twist yarn. If I like it I'll do more (I have about a pound of each) and I might use that in a vest for myself or Ron.

Ah, possibilities.

No comments: