Saturday, August 25, 2007

2 strips of bacon

Ron and I have begun a running joke. My birthday is Sept 22.

Now, we haven't always had good birthdays with me because, until last year, I didn't know I was bipolar. My pattern runs, Depressed in August, Manic in September, Depressed in October (I am a "rapid cycler"). The last several years, manic has generally equalled hostile and paranoid = lousy birthdays.

One thing we've done when I wasn't sick, something that worked well, was make a list. See, when I was a kid Mom would tell me to make a list for my birthday. When I got together with Ron it worked too.

At first, and this always makes me smile, I'd peck away at Ron's old braillewriter. It looks like a mutated, old-fashioned typewriter with only 7 keys. You press down on a combination of keys ("b" is key 1 and 2 at the same time, "A" is key one, "c" is key one and four). I'd always mix up my "I's" and "E's", giving "E lovi you" a whole new meaning.


Then we got our first computer. [Ron needs me outside. Done now. Ron wanted me to check the front yard for fire ants and such. Yes, I found a mound, and I treated it. I try to "go organic" but not when it comes to fire ants. Then I had to wash my hands thoroughly, log on again, etc. ]

So, we got our first computer. Ron got a voice for the computer (making it able to talk). Now I could give him a disk. The things I really want get a star, then I describe it, any relevant ordering info, and a price. Things I'd like, but I'm not dying for don't get a star, but the rest of the information. Ron gets me the starred items, and a few of the unstarred. We're still at that stage.

For my birthday this year I thought for a while. Last year I couldn't even knit, now I'm knitting and spinning (thanks to my pills!). I've even started knitting myself a vest.

I looked around. Pretend Ron has $100, what would I get? Well, I already have 3 spindles. I'm happy with them. I could use some knitting patterns (at $4 each, I picked a couple). I have plenty of knitting supplies, needles and such. Lots of yarn, no urgent needs for more. I finally decided on some knitting patterns and spinning fibers from Paradise Fibers. Bill is a very nice man who helped me pick my first spindle. I knew he'd be great for Ron to call.

Ron was very surprised at my list. I didn't want that much at all (I think I already have a post up about this). And I didn't hear anything from him. About a week ago, I started asking him if he'd made the call yet (went back out to help Ron finish mowing).

No. First it was Hurricane Dean. Why order something? My fibers don't know how to swim, and if we got flooded they'd probably "drown" in transit. The storm passed. "Have you called it in yet". No. Finally, Ron told me he wasn't getting me anything from Paradise. He was going to cook me two strips of bacon and give them to me, with a soda, for my birthday.

I laughed so hard I almost wet myself. And he called it in yesterday. He got Bill and they really took to each other. They were out of the alpaca wool superwash blend (I figured) but they substituted "Something else we know you will like". Yay! I love suprises.

Ron got ready to settle up. "So," Bill asked "Do you want to pay with the card that ends in 4321?" Ron considered it for a moment, knowing that's my debit card. "No, better not.", and gave them his card number.

Oh, boy, I'm getting 2 strips of bacon. It's going to be a good birthday.

No comments: