Monday, August 13, 2007

I got it all over with today

It wasn't a bad day, but it's the kind of day where I get home, sit down, and thank God for my medication. It started out harmlessly enough. Ron woke me up at 5-something. He left a soda in the bathroom for me (incredible motivation - I am truly addicted to my diet sodas). I got up, took my pills.

I prepared my "box" - it's an 18 gallon sterilite tote box with a snap on lid. I couldn't get the lid to snap into place, though! My other box is fine, what's the deal with this STUPID! AAAGH! Ron wanted to know, I told him, he said "You have the wrong lid for the box". Stupid indeed. So I took my other, first box. It contained my knitting bag, purse, "cold bag" (an insulated 6-pack tote I use to keep cold foods cold), and my list.

Then I dropped my deodorant while dressing and mutilated it pretty badly. AGH! Luckily I had already applied it.

Got dressed, ate a sugarfree pudding cup, took my pills. All set. We had a good ride to work.

When we got to work, two machines were down; one had an awful coin jam, and the other had a joke of a dollar bill wadded up in the validator - meaning it couldn't accept any bills. Needless to say, the "Pulls" on those machines were weak. I pulled the money, ran it, enough to pay me. Got the sandwiches (they were never going out of business -weird!), did a couple of things for Ron. Time to go.

While leaving, I almost blacked out from the heat - it was that bad! I don't understand any of those idiots who go running in this kind of weather - there are far better ways to kill yourself if that's your goal. Our pickup was late, and right as he pulled in the arm broke off my glasses. I'm trying to steer Ron, carrying the box, while holding my glasses to my head with a hand that's also holding an open can of diet soda. NOT FUN!

I had Ron dig through "Knitty" my knitting bag to find my glasses case. I took out the sunglasses (the type that fit over your existing glasses) and put the two pieces of my glasses inside. Now, I've never been a huge fan of them. I lost a screw and had an arm fall off this pair before. With my old plastic-framed glasses, I never had that problem. I had one pair I wore for 5 years before I replaced them. They won't break unless they're dropped or impacted somehow. Now I'm effectively blind.

My vision isn't too bad, it's like an extreme case of needing reading glasses. I can read, somewhat, if I squint hard. So, I'm at the bank. No glasses. A "pull" (which I'll say was more than just my pay). Luckily I was able to squint Rod through the blur. No waiting, which was a good thing, our next pickup = 25 minutes. But Rod's good. I got paid, the remainder got deposited, and I still had about $15 in my pocket! Let's hear it for Lithium!

So, our next ride pulls up. She's a nice young lady, has one of those gold-tooth "grillz". I could see the shine and I was able to greet her, got Ron seated in the back with the box. A straight trip to Walmart! We got out, everyone is doing double-takes and teasing me. I moan about my "broken leg", while waving the "victim" in the air.

We ate. I went to the eyeglass place. It needs to be soldered? Another store? The guy's giving me directions and I am telling him, I can't drive. I don't drive. Don't bother. Now I have an hour and a half at Walmart and I can't really see that well.

I got all my shopping, including a great postal scale for $20. I can use it to weigh skeins of yarn, my first skein of Corriedale is 1 ounce exactly, for instance. I took out the broken glasses and I'd hold them up to my face so I could read various labels (like the battery size on the postal scale). More num-num's for the cats (canned food). Food. Deposit. I don't remember what-all now. Anyway, we had a great ride home.

Thankfully, I had stored my old glasses. I'm wearing them now and they're working great, a little better than the broken pair, to be honest. Whatever prescription these are is closer to what I need, so I'm just going to keep wearing them. They have bigger lenses, too, and they don't FALL DOWN MY NOSE all the time either.

My next pair of glasses? Plastic frames.

Like I told the guy behind me in line at McDonald's - "I know the rest of this week is going to be fantastic! I got it all over with today!" He laughed.

No comments: