Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"The Snackinator"

Last week, Ron wanted to bring home some snack foods from work. He asked me what we had, and I read them all off. Plain Lays and Ruffles, BBQ Ruffles, Cheddar Ruffles, Chili Cheese Fritos, Cheetos, Sour Cream and Onion Lays, and the Zapps chips.

"Nah," he said "I don't want any of that. Don't we have anything different?" I had to tell him no.

When the time came to make my Vistar order, I got different alright. I'd been eying the Dave & Thomas Honey Mustard Popcorn in the catalog. The other vendors sell the "Movie Theater" popcorn (which is delicious, btw). Why not?

"Ew!" Popcorn should be plain, cheddar, or caramel flavored, Ron told me. Honey mustard was wierd. No one would buy it. The idea was awful. I told him he wanted "Different" and I have good instincts on these things. My Jalapeno Zapp's chips are huge, people will walk out of their way to come buy them from us. Didn't he trust me? Aren't I "The Snackinator?"

Oh-kaaaaay. They arrived yesterday. I gave Ron a bag. I don't like mustard. I'm a ketchup girl, and I don't like spicy foods. The popcorn was very flavorful, but not my thing at all. Ron's hand reached into the bag, he ate some.

"Hmm" He goes, "It's different. I keep expecting a cheddar flavor but I get Honey-mustard". The hand dove into the bag again, he ate some more. The hand dove into the bag again. I pretended to take it away from him, and he resisted, as the hand dove into the bag yet another time.

We brought home three bags from work today. We gave a bag to Mike. He ate it, and bought 2 more. We gave one to the driver, who had the same reaction. The "reach" time on each sucessive mouthful gets faster and faster. The more they eat, the more they love it.

Ron inhaled the blazing hot peanuts I got, too. We've got something different.

No comments: