Tuesday, April 1, 2014

"Very Healthy"

It's been a long day. 

I got up at 4.  Took a shower and barely had time to dress.  I even had to bring my medication "with" as I left for work, pushing Ron in his wheelchair. 

Every driver today, save one, was utterly delightful.  I see so many wonderful people in Metrolift uniforms. 

We got to work and I did the "pull"- took out what little we had.  As soon as the customers saw money in my hand, they started hitting me up for refunds!  Oh, well, if they lied God will get them. 

I also heard someone had been badly hurt yesterday.  Please pray for him.  He's got a hard road ahead. 

On my way in, I read the construction memo.  They put a new one out every week.  I have learned a lot of important facts by reading the memos. 

Today I found out the new cafeteria opens next week.  We need to move our machines! 

The contractors moved our machines once and did a very good job.  Better than the state guys.  So, I'd almost rather they do it.  But I think the state guys have to do it, per the contract. 

Our supervisor wants to meet with us about this.  We'll see how that goes. 

I'm a little torn: I'd love a stockroom on site, but not so much if I had to share it with the other vendor (who does not respect boundaries and believes he needs 2 huge hand carts the size of my bed to stock his machines).  If we had an off site, we'd have to pay, but it would be entirely ours, too. 

I know God has already got this figured out. 

After we came home, we went out again to Walmart.  Our driver was very late picking us up.  He is always late picking us up.  He kept telling us he felt it was "unfair" to leave a developmentally delayed group home if the clients weren't ready on time, that the driver should just wait around, however long it took, so they could go to their daycare. 

Uh.  No.  Some of us have real jobs, medical appointments, and significant obligations.  We can't run an hour late just because the care provider forgot to wake Freddy.  The driver just has a terrible attitude toward management and the dispatchers.  He told me once he mocks one dispatcher because she sounds a little groggy after lunch, and he gives her a hard time about "taking that medication".  Not cool. 

Anyway he had a BIG attitude when he found Ron in the wheelchair.  Most of the drivers want to know why but this guy just acted like Ron did it to piss him off. 

Go back to where I said EVERY other driver was awesome, delightful, and fun.  I loved them.  I know this guy won't be around for long, with that attitude.   I always feel like I need another lithium after riding with him. 

I got Ron settled and went off to the eye exam.  The new healthcare forms are ridiculous.  However, I filled it all out and turned it in. 

Since I have a freckle on the back of my right eye, I got the eye drops.  I hate the eye drops.  I hate the flashing lights.  I hate, hate, HATE, the glaucoma test. 

However, my happiest childhood memories involved trips to the eye doctor.  I was pretty much legally blind as a child.  In the 70's, it was so bad I got glasses as a toddler.  I also had eye surgery to correct a lazy eye.  So, I spent a lot of time visiting the eye doctor. 

He was great.  Going to see him was fantastic, like going to see Santa.  He had a waiting room full of the most awesome toys, stuffed animals, big cardboard "bricks", and fantastic learning toys.  I liked the beads on wires, the stuffed animals, and the bricks. 

When I entered the office he'd put my head in a brace that kept me from moving my head.  Then he'd have the puppets perform.  He had a remote, and various puppets would jump up and clap their hands.  One, a monkey with cymbals, was my favorite.  It was a cool way to get a little kid to roll their eyes without force.  Then I'd get the eye test.  Was it a triangle or a square? 

He'd tell me my vision numbers (they always improved), and hand my dad the prescription.  Dad would take me to lunch and then we'd go to the optical center.  Back then, they had very few choices for children.  I had a choice of brown or black frames, in maybe 2 styles.  I'd carefully pick "my" glasses and Dad would turn in the prescription.  Then, weeks later, he'd take me to the optician to pick up my glasses, always a thrilling event. 

Except for one time, when I saw a little person and freaked out, screaming and clinging to Daddy's leg.  Sorry, buddy. 

It was a highlight of my childhood.  These days, not so fun.  Drops, bright glaring lights, rolling my eyes around, etc. 

HOWEVER, we found a great prescription.  I could see so well with it, so much better than my current pair.  Doc told me I needed bifocals, which are fine.  I just want to be able to read. 

She also suggested I get the line because it's an easier adjustment.  "Cheaper, too" I told her with a grin. 

However, I'm having the pupillary distance issue.  They don't do that at Doc's.  The opticians do that.  But they want their money and don't want to do the reading unless you order a pair of glasses (at least at Walmart). 

I plan to look around and offer bribes until I can get this done. 

At the end of it all, I have "very healthy" eyes.  That's good to hear.  It has been a while since my last exam.  I'm a +6.25 in the bad eye, +5.25 in the good eye.  That's about where I've been for a while now. 

I'll keep you posted! 

No comments: