Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Vultures

I get very frustrated when tragedy strikes and then people are all "Oh, that's so terrible, do you have any more details?"  It's vulturistic. 

Some want the details for gossip.  I don't think I''ve shared this.  Ron was in the accident on January 7.  His family made no effort to contact me.  Someone else notified me and brought me to the hospital.  Ron's family didn't care about my lack of transportation, so a little over a day later, I had to take 2 buses to get home, riding for hours. 

I was doing alright until I encountered a plant employee at the bus stop (my home bus also served the plant).  I ended up on a bench next to a part timer. 

She wanted all the details, which I shared.  Then she told me "everyone says it is all your fault".  I couldn't believe it.  Why would you ever think that was an appropriate statement?  I didn't even know if he'd live.  You can bet she went back to work with her harvest of details, talking about my reaction, etc... horrible. 

While I am prone to gossip, I will never be that person. 

When I hear of a tragedy I don't want detials.  I want to pray for the victims. 

That, to me, is what Jesus would want me to do. 

For the record, Ron's accident is the fault of the distracted driver who ran over him. 

No comments: