Sunday, April 6, 2014

A bead on Houston

It's interesting, the things I notice when I'm manic. 

I bumped into a wall going to bed last night (a regular occurance) right next to the hurricane map.  It's hung on the wall with tape.  I outlined the borders with a hot glue gun so Ron can "feel" Cuba VS Florida, etc.  I glued a bead onto Houston so he can "find" it easily. 

I guess that qualifies as art.  It dates back to 2005.  A very cheap, basic map with glue borders and a bead on Houston. 

I was working on an entire map of Houston, but Frosty (cat) kept eating my landmarks.  Ron took one look at a piece of it and said "It's too big for me", so I threw it out eventually. 

My only other "Art" is an abstract my mother made, clearly while manic.  It's oil on a canvas, mainly coral, wedgewood, and hunter green.  I think it represents a sunrise.  She called it "Happiness".  I display it because my mother made it, I don't have much of her. 

Honestly, if I found it at a yard sale I wouldn't buy it.  If anything, I like nature posters - full color photos of something in nature. 

I like fall colors, so while living in CA I had a poster of fall woods taped to my closet door.  I liked seeing it when I got up and went to bed.  I also had a waterfall surrounded by a white sand beach, with woods around the beach.  It seemed so lovely and private. 

I found it again years ago.  I had it in the closet for a while, depressed.  One day I got manic and put it up on the wall, but the guys who 'fixed" my home after the water damage - flooding from Allison, used cheap texture on the walls to disguise some very bad drywall taping.  The adhesive didn't stick, and the poster sagged. 

While I was at work, one of the cats decided this flapping, hanging, edge made a great target.  By the time I got home the entire poster was on the floor and unsalvagable.  I was mad, but mostly at myself.  I should have figured it might happen. 

That was it for art, for quite a while. 

Now I'm thinking it would be nice to find a fall woods poster and mount that over my computer room loveseat.  I have the loveseat covered in an orange sheet.  I have a red towel on my folding chair.  I have yellow-orange gradient pillows on the loveseat, and a pumpkin orange fleece blanket hanging off the end of the loveseat so I won't bash my foot on the loveseat again (I broke a toe pretty badly a year or two back, doing that).  I think a fall woods would be very pretty and fit right in. 

I don't have a lot of consistent "likes" in my life.  I like pasta, cats, nature, Ron, and Law & Order.  Nearly every other like comes and goes like the tides, according to my neurotransmitters.  I always, no matter my mood, like fall colors.  So it seems a safe choice, it will perk me when I'm depressed and cheer me when I'm manic. 

I just need to find something I love, and can afford.  A lot of art is incredibly overpriced.  Of course it will have to be framed, and nailed into the wall somehow. 

I have other things I need, though, like new glasses.  So I think I'll find something I like, bookmark it, and save it for later. 

No comments: