Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Black sheep

I hate those "find out your ancestry" ads. 

I know enough about my family to feel like a total loser.  My Dad's family, men and women, all college graduates for over 100 years.  My Dad has an MS in engineering from a very well known university. 

I don't know as much about my mother's family: Mom attended some college but couldn't complete it due to the bipolar/alcoholic/teen mom thing.  Her mother, though - my maternal grandmother (the one diagnosed with schitzophrenia), was a mathemetician. 

I didn't even make it through pre-algebra. 

Then let's look at me: mixed performance in school due to an undiagnosed learning disability.  Once that was diagnosed and the teaching adapted (leave me in a quiet corner with a stack of workbooks), I pulled straight A's.  I actually liked learning. 

However, I dropped out of high school for two reasons: one, the special ed program was requisitioning special computer equipment for "my visual disability" - one reason I was not "permitted" to graduate with my class.  They wanted it for the next fiscal year - if I graduated on time my "visual impairment" went with me and no computer system.  I didn't like being used.  It made me VERY angry.   I have "coke bottle" glasses, that's it.  I'm not "visually impaired". 

Secondly, I turned 18.  I knew I could not attend college and live at home.  Too many reasons to mention.  I also knew I wouldn't be allowed to date Ron even though I was an adult.  I dropped out, moved out, and ran off with the love of my life. 

I don't regret it.  Even when things have been awful, I don't regret it. 

Ron nagged me into getting my GED.  I got some of the highest scores for my county.  I attended some college, 15 units with a 3.2 GPA, almost enough for a certificate (but we moved to Texas and I had to work full time once we "landed). 

Do I wish I had a degree?  No.  I see a lot of people struggling even with the degree.  I have heard many horror stories of student loans, as well.  I'm very glad I don't have that burden of debt. 

But, I have to admit, I feel like a black sheep when I think about all my "smart", degreed, relatives. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your dad and his family might seem smarter to you because of a college degree BUT that intelligence did not lend itself to compassion for you when you were a child growing up and the way he allowed you to be treated by his wife (your step mother).

I would rather a person be not quite as smart (we want a little common sense) and have a great afinity toward people (especially kin) and compassion toward making sure we are good to each other and other people are good to the ones we love.