Monday, April 7, 2014

Hug a foreman

I could take a couple angles on this. 

I could tell you all about the day with me as the victim.  The bladder infection.  The 13 hour day.  Sitting around for hours waiting on other people. The ugliness from the other vendor as regards sharing the stockroom.  I'd be a victim and you'd feel awful for me. 

Or I can tell you the other version: where I got up at 3 feeling very well rested, finding a cat in my bed and the other sleeping on my jeans.  I did my God Time with a fat, sweet, Torbie, petting her as I read the Bible and devotionals with my magnifier (I love that thing, but I need to get the bigger one, I just have the index size).  I took my shower last night, so I looked fine.  I just had to do deodorant, brush my hair, and teeth. 

Our ride was late but it didn't matter in the long run.  Today "they" were supposed to move all our machines (7) except for the 3 soda machines.  Well, that never happened. 

We sat around for hours, watching them move tables, chairs, microwaves, and even the bottled water dispenser.  I was hoping to see the last of it, oh, well. 

Our bottled water always sells well even with the dispenser.

Dr Pepper had us as the second stop.  They didn't arrive until 2 (refer you back to getting up at 3).  I did tag the wall, letting them know the placement on the various machines. 

I wanted soda, snack, soda.  Ron wanted soda, soda. I realized I could do soda, soda, snack; Ron agreed.  I taped notes on the walls indicating placement.  Hopefully we will find everything situated tomorrow. 

The Dr Pepper guys had a terrible time getting the machines moved.  Basically, they got them in the back door.  That door has since been demolished and walled up.  So, we had to go out an extraordinarily narrow "front door".  They made it happen, though. 

I was so impressed I had Ron call in a compliment. I reminded them this was it for our business.  They would never have to move *our* soda machines again.  I teased them about bringing me a state of the art bottle vendor. 

The other vendors arrived.  I was a little concerned when showing the stockroom.  Have you ever seen someone looking at something and "owning" it in their mind?  I did. 

I figured our boss would have his work cut out for him.  He did.  At the end of it, with serious haggling, Ron got 14% of the available area.  We have a quarter of the machines in the building. 

You can imagine what I'd say about that if I wanted to be a victim tonight.  It was incredibly ugly, with the other vendor shouting at me.  "We have all the equipment!  We have all the merchandise!  We have all the machines!" 

You know, I thought, God doesn't like a haughty attitude.  For certain, they are demolishing all of his breakrooms.  They already did two - taking out 10 machines and giving him 5 back.  What will they do with the rest of his breakrooms?  Will they even be rebuilt? 

"Vengence is mine, I will repay" says the Lord - Hebrews 10:30.   So, I won't be angry.  God is going to discipline them in His own way and time. 

I negotiated calmly with the boss, I told him I needed a third of the area.  We haggled that down to 14 percent.  I told him I needed 3 racks.  We haggled that down to 2 "You told me we will have a high volume of sales.  How can I support that if we don't have any storage?" 

Ron told me later he was very impressed.  I know God had His hand on me in that.  "I" probably would have ended up shouting back at the other guy and embarrassed the whole blind vendor program. 

[rolleyes]  I thought "we" were all mature adults.  I was so glad I was married to the guy in the wheelchair! 

I can only imagine their home life. 

Anyway, they were told they are going to have to dramatically change the way they do business.  They are not innovators, this is going to be a huge battle for them.  I almost felt sorry for them, but I'm not that good a Christian. 

They left, looking pretty alarmed. 

I checked my machines, they were fine, but still in the old spot.  I took the money out of the machines, and also took the soda out of the canned soda vending machines.  To be honest, I didn't think it was necessary. 

After moving them, I told Ron twice, we absolutely needed empty machines.  He was right.  It was really an act of God we got them moved. 

They pushed and pulled the massive machine, while I basically went ahead and yelled "Get out of the way!" 

Then, after they left, Ron and I took all the soda and put it back in the machines.  We had extra, we stocked that too.  We took Coke out of one machine and installed Pepsi.  I made a label.  Ron did what he could from his wheelchair. 

Our boss was rather alarmed to see Ron still in the wheelchair.  I'm sure his back is a mess, but it's Ron's call on action.  If he wants to do something, he knows I will help him.  If not, he knows I will help him.  I'm not going to nag him. 

He says it is getting better, slowly.  I encourage him not to strain it in any way. 

We worked 13 hours today.  We had a wait on our ride but I had a place to sit.  Happily, my feet didn't hurt at all.   They're tired. They're really happy I'm sitting down, but they're fine. 

I saw the foreman responsible for building our area, and I waved cheefully.  He came over to say hi (we were friendly even before I knew).  I stood up and said "You did such a good job on our cafeteria.  I want to give you a hug. Can I do that?"  He chuckled, blushed a little, and said sure.  I gave him a firm hug and thanked him again, he blushed again and left. 

Glad I did it. 

We had a great ride home. 



No comments: