Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Aporkalypse!

I'm stealing my title from a poster on the Houston Chronicle website. They're calling the pandemic the "APORKALYPSE". Very funny, especially as I hear the ice cream truck outside ruining childrens' dinners.

Today I awoke to the news that a toddler had died in Texas. As the day progressed, I learned it was a toddler. Then, I recieved an irate phone call from someone.

"It was a Mexican baby! They brought a sick baby over the border and brought it to a hospital in Brownsville! Then Brownsville sent it here!" My immediate first thought, was KEEP THE FAMILY IN QUARANTINE. The last thing we need are family members spreading germs all over Houston.

Then I'd by lying if I didn't have a thought along the lines of damn them, why'd they have to bring their problem to Houston? If they had just stayed on their side of the border...

I brooded about them for a few minutes. Then my better judgement asserted itself. First, I thought, if all those party animals hadn't gone to Mexico for spring break then we wouldn't have had them coming home sick and spreading it to their schools and families.

Secondly, remember how I felt when Frosty was very ill? I would have done ANYTHING for that cat. I had no problem with the thought of completely maxing out the credit card if it meant I could take my baby home. And Frosty was a cat.

Now, imagine I am a Mexican Citizen. I'm afraid of the flu, I've fled my city - Mexico City. Somehow I'm in Brownsville now. My baby falls ill. What am I going to do? Take the baby to a hospital, of course.

I hope everyone there used proper precautions. I hope the family came into the US in a legal fashion, but who am I to throw stones? I've sinned just like everyone else. I'll only get sick if God wills it.

Any human being would have done whatever they could to get their sick toddler the help that could save their life. However, it was too late and from what I understand at this point the child had other medical issues, too.

Another thing that's been bothering me. People coughing in public. No one is covering their mouth. Houston is allergy city. Most of the coughing is due to allergies, I'm sure. I have an allergy cough because I sleep with Bubba-cat, to whom I'm allergic. [laugh]

So, today I reached a decision as I watched a small child coughing on the bus. I got out some hard (sugarfree) candies from my bag. I tapped the mother, and offered her the candies. Two pieces. Obviously, one for you, one for the child. She said thank you, unwrapped them, and they both sucked on the candy. No more coughing. I did the same thing earlier - handed a cough drop to another Metrolift client who was coughing violently. I'm sure she had asthma or something.

But how would I feel if I were elderly and disabled, and couldn't stop coughing, only to see Heather giving me the stink-eye? I'd give JESUS a cough drop, so I'd better do the same for her.

I've resolved, to give all coughers a cough drop. It says "I'm sorry you're not feeling well, hope you feel better soon." Most importantly, from a completely selfish standpoint... it STOPS THEM COUGHING.

Ha ha ha... Virtue is it's own reward.

1 comment:

shyone said...

that is the sweetest post I have ever read