Monday, April 13, 2009

I'll be happy to answer any questions...

I'm listening to a new tune tonight. "Cry No More" by The Cross Movement. If Ron liked Gospel Rap, he'd love it.

I managed to restrain myself. Someone was talking about hating the taste of reheated food. Me, I'm just happy I have food to reheat! I wanted to make a really bitchy comment about "It must be nice to have enough money to sustain such a refined palate" but I didn't. I just said, I don't notice a taste and many times I had to eat food I didn't like, or go hungry. I hate chicken, for instance. When Ron and I first got married, we lived off of those 10 pound bags of chicken leg quarters, one a week, plus a bag of (ha ha) potatoes, also one a week. I left it at that.

It's true, though. So many people go hungry I try not to waste food. I'm nuking some formerly frozen pot roast and collard greens right now. The juice and the greens will add a lot to each other. Ah, beep beep.

Another issue that kind of bothers me. Oh, I'm losing weight. People are gossiping about me. I'm going to feed the gossip when they ask how I'm losing weight.

I don't think that's very kind. What if someone really wants to know how you do it? I mean, if you want to do that, fine. I can't tell you what to do.

But how did I learn about Atkins? A nice lady at work told me about it. I filed it away and when I was ready to lose, I did.

Oh, my. That's some GOOD pot roast! Oh, yum. I gotta make another one this weekend. Foodtown has some nice pot roasts.

Anyway, who am I to deny people the information that helped me?

A good example. If you read my other blog I'm repeating myself:
Today I went to Walmart. Ron wanted a meatloaf TV dinner. I'm wearing my size 12's and my medium tshirt. I heard one woman tell another "Don't worry about the carbs, it's the calories that matter." I started laughing - obnoxiously loud laughter. I laughed so hard I hit my head on the handle to the shopping cart.

They look at me, puzzled and alarmed. "I'm sorry, but I overheard you. Um. That's not true." What? I told them about my low carb success story. The first woman asked if I had ever tried low calorie dieting. I said, yes, it made me a very irritable bitch (pardon), and low-fat dieting caused me to gain 10 pounds a year, even with killer workouts. Their eyes got wide as I spoke with fervent passion about my misery on the low-calorie/low-fat/kill yourself working out diet lie. Then, I started low carb.. my voice warmed as I spoke with kindness about my Dear Doctor Atkins. How I lost 19 pounds, taking 3 medications that cause weight gain - one woman misunderstood me that I was taking some kind of diet pill, which I corrected. Taking 3 pills that cause weight gain, eating BACON! I waved at my portion of the shopping cart, loaded with broccoli, caulilflower, green beans, hard cheese, bacon, butter, and red meat. Delicious.

"So you're taking diet pills" pointed at my hand. "What's that? Is that low-carb?" I grinned at Ron's Banquet Meatloaf, corn, and mashed potato dinner. "Hell no, excuse me. It's for my husband. You couldn't pay me to eat this!"

They were "with" me, until the inevitable sugar question was asked. No, I don't eat sugar. No, I don't eat that. Or that. When I want a dessert I have some heavy whipping cream and fresh fruit. It's very good....but I'd lost them.

Well, I had told them that everyone who's trying to lose weight probably has that one trigger food they can't bear to give up. That food, I told them, is what makes you fat.

Are they going to low-carb? Probably not. Are they going to remember me? Damned right. Do they know how to lose weight safely? Yes.

So I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have about my way of eating. After all, someone did it for me.

No comments: