Monday, March 30, 2009

Things I love to do.

I've been getting my ass kicked by this depression. Obviously, I've taken my illness for granted. Depressions always last two weeks, they have for years, haven't they? No. This one is going on 3 weeks.

One important thing is the things I love to do inventory. So, what do I love to do? Time to make a list, and get working on it, so I don't get flogged with this illness. I detest the image of Heather-as-victim-helpless-against-the-persecuting-illness. GACK. I want to be more like Sarah Conner in Terminator 2, kicking ass and taking names.

  • Knitting. Today I bought a squishee ball to use while I knit, exercising my hands so I can continue to knit.
  • Gardening. I took a plastic chair out back so I can enjoy the garden. I've also built a little Frosty memorial garden with white flowers and fragrant herbs. He'd love to lie on the plants and dig up my mulch, and urinate on a violet or two. I see it everytime I leave the house or come home.
  • Being outside. Thankfully I spend a fair amount of time outside every day.
  • Talking to family - I need to do more.
  • Listening to my tunes. If I can't find my player, Ron's going to buy me a new one for $20.
  • Time with the cat - he's not a cuddler, it's not happening. I am "treating" the neighbor's dog, and getting lickings in return. Not a bad deal.
  • Rose-scented bubble bath. Love the stuff, don't do it often enough (yesterday I did)
  • Using a really nice soap in the shower - showering is always difficult for me, for some reason, when I'm depressed. I have to force myself into it, literally. I bought a really nice bar of Dr Bronners rose soap - it's lovely and makes my shower nicer.
  • Days out - where I ride the bus around and have fun little shopping adventures - doing well with them, except for the migraine during Saturday's. I have a hard time figuring out where I want to go, damn this depression.
  • Zombie movies. I need to get the Resident Evil Trilogy, for instance, the next time I go to Walmart. I love zombie movies. Why don't I own any? That is just WRONG.
  • Cooking. I made some gumbo Ron liked and he helped with the cleanup. I also got the benefit of watching him enjoy his food for a change.

Normally I'd be self-medicating with sugar and making a bad situation worse. I'm not doing that. I'm just tired and I need to be careful I don't fall into the whole hopelessness trap. Ick.

2 comments:

shyone said...

please post your gumbo recipe I adore good gumbo!

Heather Knits said...

OK, Ron's basic gumbo (makes one quart):
1 chicken thigh, meat, skin and bones

4 ounces good quality smoked link sausage (if you can get it, Chappel Hill)

2-3 ounces (we used 2 and Ron said it needed more) DARK roux - we get the kind in the jar.

1/2 cup chopped onions (I used frozen)

2/3 cup chopped celery

1/4 t salt, and 1/2 t black pepper

1 quart plain water

Bring the water to a good rolling boil. Add roux and stir for 10 minutes. Add meat and other ingredients. Simmer 30 minutes to an hour (he also advised longer cooking than the 45 minutes we did, so up to an hour). Take off the burner and chill rapidly (we used an ice bath).

Remove chicken, debone, and skin. Just put the meat back. Chill in the fridge until the fat forms a skin on top. Skim the fat off the broth. Cook up some rice, spoon some hot gumbo over it, and enjoy!