Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hustler

Hustle: a. To sell or get by questionable or aggressive means: hustled stolen watches; hustling spare change.
b. To pressure into buying or doing something: a barfly hustling the other customers for drinks.


Today I met a hustler. He rides Metrolift, a client, not a driver. I didn't like him even before he started "pitching" and obviously trying to pry "contacts" out of us.

It started off with aggressive calls to Metrolift, where are you, how far away. When we pulled up, he demanded to know how long he'd be riding. If I had animations in here, this is where I'd paste the one that's laughing hysterically, because if you want to know how long you'll be riding then you should have called yourself a cab. Looking back, I'm pleased to state he had a LONG ride (I spied on the computer console).

I found him equal parts amusing and annoying. Like Ron says "If you want a straight trip, or expect one, you must be a new client. The veterans know they'll be riding."

Some clients are incredibly rude. They want to know every detail of our business, which is just that, our business. Ron doesn't care, he'll answer some very intrustive questions (How long do you work, what's in the building, how many machines do you have, how did you get the vending machines and the vending contract, are you hiring, etc.) Yes, we're going to hire a 400 pound woman using oxygen, who has to use a power wheelchair, to fill vending machines. And yes, she was asking FOR HERSELF. If not that, then they want to know "How do I get on at the Post Office" - which isn't hiring! About the only one he doesn't answer is "How much do you make" to which we reply "enough" or "A lot less than we used to".

Some drivers even assume we make thousands of dollars a month [another hysterical laughter animation]. A question, if we made all that money, and neither of us could drive, why in GOD'S NAME would we be riding around on Metrolift? We'd have a driver or call cabs.

So, back to the hustler. The last time we rode with him he asked most of the questions quoted above, and was so rude that even Ron shut him down. I'll tell you all about my bipolar disorder, brain damage, and medication, but don't get into my business.

Oh, he had this special bottled water. We should sell it. It was such a good deal. No thanks. He agressively continued to push it and asked for our cellphone numbers, or gave us his, I forget. We said no.

Today, as soon as he got in the cab, it was the same old routine. Oh, the vendors. Today he pumped us for "contacts". He wanted the name of our electrician (mentioned in passing), but somehow I couldn't remember it. We did give him the number of our computer guy. He called and left a message implying, "I'm with Ron, I want the same deal he gets". [this is where I'd insert another laughing hysterically animation] Sure, same deal he gives everyone. $80 flat, plus parts and extra labor depending. It always costs me $80 minimum for computer work but he does good work.

I don't mind business. I don't mind good business at all. If I am working on a machine, and someone's standing in front of a vending machine, rotating it with a "Come on" expression, I'm going to find out what they want and if possible get it for them. If someone's in front of a snack machine, with an indecisive expression, I might suggest something. If someone needs change, they get it, with a smile. Everyone gets a sincere smile and a greeting, because I know they are favoring us with their business. I am honored they came by, and it shows.

I don't hustle. Hustlers disgust me. Revolt me. If you have a good product or service it will sell itself. Your job is to provide excellent customer service and good options for the customer. If they don't want something, fine.

I see a lot of take out bags and home-packed lunches walk past my vending machines. I don't take it personally. Sooner or later they'll want some peanuts or those hot chips I sell. I've got excellent merchandise and excellent service.

My merchandise, as a result, literally sells itself. Yeah, sales suck. I've gone from stocking my snack machines nearly every day, to twice a week.

But when they walk in my area, I'm smiling and the machines are full of tasty foods. I don't need to hustle, I'm a professional.

No comments: