Sunday, May 27, 2007

This weekend I wound up a mile of laceweight yarn. I got it from Knitpicks. Wonderful, lovely, laceweight wools and alpaca/silk blends. Tasty. I'm going to have loads of fun making it into gorgeous lacy shawls and scarves. The Depression (which should be in all caps) is sniffing and scratching at the door, and it helps to have a nice brainless project, (like yarn winding) to keep my mind and hands busy. I've never been so happy to have my hands shaking! Thank God for my pills and the side effects.

I'm practicing some lace stitches (psso, etc) with the natural lace yarn - at $4 a skein for half a mile's worth of yarn, I can afford to experiment. I've also been thinking about learning to spin my own yarn. With places like http://www.knitpicks.com offering insanely affordable yarn I don't NEED to learn, but I think it'll be fun.

I've been reading about drop spindles and fibers. I like to think I'm always stretching my brain. Just think, a llama blend hat for Ron (who was menaced by a Llama when he was little), or a camel-hair shawl for Mom (who hated the ugly camels in Petra!). I might even treat myself to a cashmere/silk blend hat or scarf.

Off I go to take my afternoon nap. The cats are waiting.

No comments: